About This Chapter
MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Atmosphere - Chapter Summary
This chapter walks you through a series of lessons focused on the components and functioning of Earth's atmosphere, hitting on all the topics you'll want to be fluent in going into the MEGA Earth Science exam, including:
- The structure and circulation of the atmosphere
- The definition and effects of solar radiation
- Factors that influence weather
- Air lift, humidity and cloud formation
- Heat transfer
- Kinds of precipitation
- The ozone layer
- Greenhouse gases
Making sure you understand each lesson is easily achievable through the practice quizzes that you can take and re-take until you feel comfortable enough to move on. These quizzes will also help to get you familiarized with the sort of questions you'll encounter on the exam, and quizzes can be printed as a worksheet for further offline study.
1. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
2. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
3. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
4. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
5. Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle
Weather is the current state of the atmosphere and is determined by factors like temperature, pressure and humidity. These factors that cause periodic changes in the Earth's air masses are explored in this lesson.
6. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
7. What is Humidity? - Definition, Measurements & Effects
Humidity is an important aspect of the atmosphere because it affects both weather and climate. In this video lesson you will learn about the different types of humidity and understand how temperature affects water vapor in the air.
8. What is Cloud Formation? - Definition, Types & Process
There are many different types of clouds that form in the sky. In this video lesson you will learn about how clouds form, as well as the different types of clouds and how they are classified.
9. Air Lift: Definition & Processes
In this video lesson, you will learn about air lift. You will also identify the different ways air is lifted, as well as some of the effects each mechanism has.
10. What is Precipitation? - Definition, Types & Formation
Precipitation comes in many forms, but it all comes from the same general process. In this video lesson you will identify different types of precipitation, as well as how precipitation forms in the atmosphere from condensation.
11. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of the ozone layer and how it is depleted. You will also study the research and policy that has been instrumental in its recovery.
12. Greenhouse Gases and the Enhanced Greenhouse Effect
In this video lesson, you will learn about the five main greenhouse gases and how their unnaturally high concentrations are leading to the enhanced greenhouse effect and global climate change on Earth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Earth Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Earth Science: Science & Engineering Practices
- MEGA Earth Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- MEGA Earth Science: Minerals & Rocks
- MEGA Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- MEGA Earth Science: Measuring Geological Time
- MEGA Earth Science: Energy Resources
- MEGA Earth Science: Processes of Earth's Surface
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Hydrosphere
- MEGA Earth Science: Ocean Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Freshwater Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Weather & Storms
- MEGA Earth Science: Climate
- MEGA Earth Science: Astronomical Objects & Processes
- MEGA Earth Science: Solar System
- MEGA Earth Science: The Sun Moon Earth System
- MEGA Earth Science: Space Exploration
- MEGA Earth Science Flashcards