About This Chapter
MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Hydrosphere - Chapter Summary
This chapter goes into detail on the intricate workings of Earth's hydrosphere, making sure you're ready for related questions when you take the MEGA Earth Science exam. By the end of this chapter, you can expect to have bettered your understanding of:
- Earth's water distribution
- The different phases of the water cycle
- What transpiration is
- Biodiversity in water-based ecosystems
Testing your comprehension of these topics will be easy using the practice quizzes at the end of each lesson, which will also serve to familiarize you with the kinds of questions you'll encounter on the exam. If you'd like to use these quizzes for offline studying, they can be printed as worksheets.
1. The Distribution of Water on Earth
Water covers most of Earth but in a variety of forms. In this video lesson you will learn about how water is distributed on Earth, though you may be surprised to find out just how little of it we can access!
2. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
3. How Evaporation & Transpiration Contribute to the Hydrologic Cycle
Evaporation and transpiration are important components of the water cycle, and while they are the same process they arise from different sources. In this video lesson you will learn about these two parts of the cycle and how they contribute to the overall movement of water on Earth.
4. Ecosystems of Oceans and Freshwater: Biological Diversity and Water
In this lesson, you'll learn about the biodiversity of ecosystems based on water. You will discover that marine, freshwater and a mixture of salt and freshwater create very different ecosystems, which in turn influence the amount of biodiversity that is found in these habitats.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Earth Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Earth Science: Science & Engineering Practices
- MEGA Earth Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- MEGA Earth Science: Minerals & Rocks
- MEGA Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- MEGA Earth Science: Measuring Geological Time
- MEGA Earth Science: Energy Resources
- MEGA Earth Science: Processes of Earth's Surface
- MEGA Earth Science: Ocean Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Freshwater Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- MEGA Earth Science: Weather & Storms
- MEGA Earth Science: Climate
- MEGA Earth Science: Astronomical Objects & Processes
- MEGA Earth Science: Solar System
- MEGA Earth Science: The Sun Moon Earth System
- MEGA Earth Science: Space Exploration
- MEGA Earth Science Flashcards