About This Chapter
MEGA Earth Science: Ocean Systems - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will provide you with an in-depth review of Earth's oceanic systems to help you study for related questions on the MEGA Earth Science exam. You'll review ocean water, waves, tides and more. Specifically, you'll explore:
- Ocean basins
- The oceanic ridge system
- Waves and tides
- Ocean circulation patterns
- Ocean water properties
- Longshore transport
The lessons in this chapter have been developed by professionals in the field to provide you with several methods for learning. Each lesson contains a short video to help illustrate the information being reviewed. The video's transcript is also included for text-based learning. If you need to review a particular portion of the lesson, you can use the timeline provided below the video.
1. Ocean Basins: Definition, Formation, Features & Types
Ocean basins are those areas found under the sea. They can be relatively inactive areas where deposits of sediment slowly collect or active areas where tectonic plates meet. Learn how ocean basins form and about features such as oceanic ridges and trenches.
2. Oceanic Ridge System: Formation & Distribution
The oceanic ridge system is a continuous underwater mountain range with parts found in every ocean of the world. The ridge system is created when magma rising between diverging plates of the lithosphere cools and forms a new layer of crust.
3. Waves: Types, Features & Effect on Erosion
There are different types of ocean waves, including wind waves, tsunamis and tidal waves. Learn the features of waves and how their erosive effect creates the unique features found on the shoreline.
4. What Are Tides? - Causes & Effects
Tides rise and fall under the influence of the gravitational pull of the moon and sun. Learn about different tides, why they are predictable and their effects on coastal regions of the world.
5. Ocean Circulation: Patterns & Effect on Climate
The ocean waters are always in motion and as they travel around the globe they carry and distribute heat, which affects the global climate. Learn about the ocean circulation patterns and how they impact the climate.
6. Properties of Ocean Water
Ocean waters are salty and contain minerals and dissolved gases. They also have a high heat capacity and vary in density depending on temperature and salinity. Learn more about the unique chemical and physical properties of ocean water.
7. Contributing Factors of Longshore Transport: Beach Drift & Longshore Current
The longshore transport is the process responsible for the movement of sand and sediment along the coastline. Sand and other particles are transported with the help of the longshore current and beach drift. Learn how these factors shape shorelines.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Earth Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Earth Science: Science & Engineering Practices
- MEGA Earth Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- MEGA Earth Science: Minerals & Rocks
- MEGA Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- MEGA Earth Science: Measuring Geological Time
- MEGA Earth Science: Energy Resources
- MEGA Earth Science: Processes of Earth's Surface
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Hydrosphere
- MEGA Earth Science: Freshwater Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- MEGA Earth Science: Weather & Storms
- MEGA Earth Science: Climate
- MEGA Earth Science: Astronomical Objects & Processes
- MEGA Earth Science: Solar System
- MEGA Earth Science: The Sun Moon Earth System
- MEGA Earth Science: Space Exploration
- MEGA Earth Science Flashcards