About This Chapter
MEGA Earth Science: Solar System - Chapter Summary
This chapter is designed to lay out information about the solar system in an illustrative and engaging manner in order to help you prepare for the MEGA Earth Science exam. By the end of this chapter, you will have reviewed the following topics related to the solar system:
- Major parts of the solar system
- Age of solar system
- The solar nebula theory and planetary motion
- Characteristics of specific planets
- Asteroids, meteorites and comets
- Orbits of planets and satellites
Our online video lessons are an efficient and engaging way for you to brush up on information pertaining to the solar system. In addition, these lessons are taught by professional educators who have a great deal of knowledge on the topics you will be reviewing. After viewing the video lessons, you can take advantage of the multiple-choice quizzes. Using these quizzes ensures that the material you are studying is being retained.
1. Solar System Overview
This lesson will go over the major aspects of our solar system, including the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids.
2. What is the Age of the Solar System?
This lesson will tell you how old our solar system is and how we know that's the case thanks to radioactive decay, isotopes, half-life, and the solar nebula.
3. Solar Nebula Theory & Patterns of Planetary Motion
This lesson will tie together the solar nebula theory and the patterns of motions of the planets in our solar system and why Venus and Uranus are exceptions in the solar system.
4. Major Characteristics of Planets in the Solar System
This lesson will go over some characteristics of the planets in our solar system with respect to their masses, diameters, temperatures, densities, and rotation.
5. Asteroids, Meteorites & Comets: Definitions and Characteristics
This lesson will cover the definitions and characteristics of asteroids, comets and meteorites. It will also explore what impact they have had on Earth and the impact they might have in the future.
6. What is Orbit? - Planets & Satellites
This lesson talks about what an orbit is and defines some common terms associates with orbit. We also talk specifically about orbits of planets and satellites.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Earth Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Earth Science: Science & Engineering Practices
- MEGA Earth Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- MEGA Earth Science: Minerals & Rocks
- MEGA Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- MEGA Earth Science: Measuring Geological Time
- MEGA Earth Science: Energy Resources
- MEGA Earth Science: Processes of Earth's Surface
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Hydrosphere
- MEGA Earth Science: Ocean Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Freshwater Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- MEGA Earth Science: Weather & Storms
- MEGA Earth Science: Climate
- MEGA Earth Science: Astronomical Objects & Processes
- MEGA Earth Science: The Sun Moon Earth System
- MEGA Earth Science: Space Exploration
- MEGA Earth Science Flashcards