About This Chapter
MEGA Earth Science: The Sun Moon Earth System- Chapter Summary
This chapter is designed to help you prepare for questions you will encounter on the MEGA Earth Science exam. The lessons and self-assessment quizzes allow you to review concepts related to the sun, moon and Earth before taking the exam. The information in this chapter could help you with:
- How the Earth and sun affect the phases of the moon
- How tides are affected by gravity, the sun and moon
- Moon phases
- Formation of the moon
- Celestial sphere
Develop your expertise on these earth science topics by watching the online videos or reading the text lessons in this chapter. Then use the multiple-choice quizzes and chapter exam to test yourself on what you are studying. You will find that the questions on these tests are similar to those you will see on the MEGA Earth Science exam.
1. How Earth & the Sun Affect the Phases of the Moon
This lesson will describe how the moon, Earth, and sun combine to form the phases of the moon. We'll also discuss the important concept of synchronous rotation.
2. How Gravity, the Moon & the Sun Influence Tides
This lesson will define tides, the tidal force, neap tide, and spring tide. It will also talk about how the sun, moon, and Earth interact to produce tidal bulges.
3. Why Does the Moon have Phases?
When you see the moon differently each night, you are viewing the different phases of the moon. This lesson explains this changing shape and how it is related to the positions of the earth, moon, and sun.
4. Formation of the Moon: Theories
Explore the four major theories on the formation of the Moon. The theories include the fission theory, capture theory, condensation theory and giant impact theory. Also look at both information supporting and flaws found in these theories.
5. Important Points on the Celestial Sphere
This lesson will discuss some important points and lines located on the celestial sphere, including the zenith, nadir, celestial equator, meridian, and north and south celestial poles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Earth Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Earth Science: Science & Engineering Practices
- MEGA Earth Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- MEGA Earth Science: Minerals & Rocks
- MEGA Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- MEGA Earth Science: Measuring Geological Time
- MEGA Earth Science: Energy Resources
- MEGA Earth Science: Processes of Earth's Surface
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Hydrosphere
- MEGA Earth Science: Ocean Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Freshwater Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- MEGA Earth Science: Weather & Storms
- MEGA Earth Science: Climate
- MEGA Earth Science: Astronomical Objects & Processes
- MEGA Earth Science: Solar System
- MEGA Earth Science: Space Exploration
- MEGA Earth Science Flashcards