About This Chapter
MEGA Earth Science: Weather & Storms - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to brush up on subject matter dealing with weather, climate and storm systems. By the end of this chapter, you should be ready for any MEGA Earth Science exam questions that address:
- Differences between weather and climate
- Factors affecting wind
- Variables in weather
- Weather fronts
- Kinds of air masses
- Thunderstorms, hurricanes, cyclones and floods
- El Nino and La Nina
The lessons in this chapter have been specially developed by professionals to help you easily understand and retain the information. Each lesson contains a short video to help illustrate the material. The videos' transcripts are included for text-based review. You can take a self-assessment quiz at the end of each lesson to test your knowledge.
1. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
2. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
3. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
4. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
5. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
6. What Are Tornadoes? - Definition, Causes & The Enhanced Fujita Scale
Tornadoes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people. In this video lesson, you will learn how and where they form, as well as how scientists classify tornadoes using the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
7. What Are Thunderstorms? - Definition, Types & Formation
Thunderstorms are common all over the world. In this video lesson, you will learn what they are, how they form and how they create thunder and lightning.
8. What Are Cyclones? - Types, Causes & Effects
The word cyclone refers to many different types of storms. In this video lesson you will learn about how cyclones form, what makes each type different, and what their effects are on both people and the environment.
9. Hurricanes: Types, Formation, Causes & Effects
Hurricanes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people each year. But what are hurricanes and how do they form? In this video lesson you'll learn about where and how hurricanes develop as well as the types of hurricanes that are possible.
10. The Relationship Between El Nino & La Nina
In this video lesson, you will learn about El Niño and La Niña. You will understand the differences between them, as well as some of their effects on both ocean waters and weather patterns on land.
11. What Are Floods? - Causes, Types & Prevention
In this video lesson, you will study floods, their causes and their effects. You will learn to identify various methods that are used to prevent floods and explore how preventing natural flood cycles can lead to dangerous flood events.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Earth Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Earth Science: Science & Engineering Practices
- MEGA Earth Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- MEGA Earth Science: Minerals & Rocks
- MEGA Earth Science: Plate Tectonics
- MEGA Earth Science: Measuring Geological Time
- MEGA Earth Science: Energy Resources
- MEGA Earth Science: Processes of Earth's Surface
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Hydrosphere
- MEGA Earth Science: Ocean Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Freshwater Systems
- MEGA Earth Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- MEGA Earth Science: Climate
- MEGA Earth Science: Astronomical Objects & Processes
- MEGA Earth Science: Solar System
- MEGA Earth Science: The Sun Moon Earth System
- MEGA Earth Science: Space Exploration
- MEGA Earth Science Flashcards