About This Chapter
MEGA English: English Language in Context - Chapter Summary
Review the lessons in this chapter to develop a clear understanding of how context can be used to teach vocabulary and understand the English language. Throughout the chapter, our instructors will explain the most crucial information about this topic for the MEGA English test. These lessons include topics that may be on the exam, such as:
- Using the context to determine the meaning of words
- Interpreting figures of speech
- Teaching vocabulary in context
- Identifying important terms with the four-square strategy
The lessons in this chapter will prepare you for questions about context on the MEGA English test. Keep track of your place in this chapter and measure what you've completed with your personal dashboard.
1. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
2. Interpreting Figures of Speech in Context
Figures of speech can add humor or drama to any situation, but you have to understand what they mean in order to connect the dots. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to interpret figures of speech, such as verbal irony, puns, idioms, and hyperbole.
3. Strategies for Teaching Vocabulary
Vocabulary instruction is an essential component in language development. Using a variety of teaching strategies, including vocabulary journals, foldables, word walls, and games, helps teachers increase student engagement and vocabulary retention.
4. Teaching Vocabulary in Context
Learning vocabulary in context helps people make connections for better comprehension. We'll look at a variety of learning strategies that can help students understand and incorporate new words effectively. After the lesson, test your new knowledge with our quiz questions!
5. Using the Four-Square Strategy to Identify & Define Key Vocabulary
In this lesson, we'll explore how to use the Four-Square Strategy to learn and remember important vocabulary words. We'll also practice with a couple sample words.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA English: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA English: Reading Comprehension Components
- MEGA English: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- MEGA English: Literary Periods
- MEGA English: Literature Comprehension
- MEGA English: Persuasive Text Comprehension
- MEGA English: Analyzing U.S. Historical Documents
- MEGA English: Techniques for Writing Arguments
- MEGA English: Techniques for Writing Informative Texts
- MEGA English: Strategies for Narrative Writing
- MEGA English: Methods of Research for Understanding
- MEGA English: Engaging in Collaborative Discussions
- MEGA English: Presenting Knowledge & Ideas
- MEGA English: English Language Conventions
- MEGA English Flashcards