About This Chapter
MEGA General Science: Atmosphere, Climate & Weather - Chapter Summary
With the Atmosphere, Climate & Weather chapter of this study guide, you will develop a deeper understanding of material that may appear on the MEGA General Science test. Engaging video lessons will highlight the information you need to know about the atmosphere, climate and weather for this exam. The lessons in this chapter will cover information like:
- The atmosphere's components and structure
- Classifications of climate
- Factors influencing climate
- Geography and weather
- Air masses and weather fronts
- Weather prediction tools
- Global warming and climate change
- Ocean currents
- Gases in volcanic eruptions
- The causes of lightning
This chapter will outline the atmosphere, climate and weather material that you could find on the MEGA General Science test. You will be well equipped to answer questions addressing everything from weather prediction maps to types of lightening. Test your knowledge with our lesson quizzes, and see what you've mastered and what you still need to work on with the dashboard feature.
1. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
2. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
3. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
4. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
5. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
6. How Geography Affects the Weather
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain how geography affects the weather, including physical geography and human geography. A short quiz will follow.
7. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
8. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
9. Predicting the Weather: Tools, Maps & Symbols
How do weather forecasters predict the weather? What tools are used? When you look at a weather map, what do all the symbols mean? Learn about predicting and mapping the weather in this lesson.
10. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
11. Factors Involved in Climate Change
Our Earth's climate has changed many times in her 4.5 billion year lifetime. Discover the multiple factors that influence these changes and test your understanding with a short quiz.
12. What are Ocean Currents? - Definition & Types
Currents are responsible for circulating water throughout the earth's oceans. This lesson will discuss surface ocean currents, deep water ocean currents, and the forces that drive them.
13. Volcanic Eruption: Gases Released & Their Effects
Volcanic eruptions emit water vapor and toxic gases into the atmosphere. Learn about the gases emitted from an erupting volcano, such as carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide, hydrochloric acid and carbon monoxide and their effects in this video lesson.
14. What is Lightning? - Definition, Types & Causes
Have you ever wondered what lightning is and how it forms? In this lesson, you'll learn how lightning develops, different types of lightning, and what causes thunder.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA General Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA General Science: Practices of Science & Engineering
- MEGA General Science: Analyzing Scientific Information
- MEGA General Science: Science, Technology & Society
- MEGA General Science: Properties of Matter
- MEGA General Science: Gases
- MEGA General Science: Inorganic Compounds & Chemical Bonds
- MEGA General Science: Stoichiometry & Reactions
- MEGA General Science: Energy Transformations
- MEGA General Science: Force, Motion & Energy
- MEGA General Science: Newton's Laws
- MEGA General Science: Mechanical & Electromagnetic Waves
- MEGA General Science: Electricity & Magnetism
- MEGA General Science: Types of Cells
- MEGA General Science: Classification of Living Organisms
- MEGA General Science: Genetics
- MEGA General Science: History of Life & Evolution
- MEGA General Science: Organisms & Their Environments
- MEGA General Science: Earth History & Structure
- MEGA General Science: Earth's Hydrosphere
- MEGA General Science: The Universe
- MEGA General Science Flashcards