About This Chapter
MEGA General Science: Practices of Science & Engineering - Chapter Summary
Let our instructors guide you through lessons addressing practices of science and engineering to help you get ready for the MEGA General Science test. The lessons include information about these topics:
- Scientific thinking, scientific research and scientific tools
- Safety concerns in conducting scientific research
- Types of research design
- Steps of scientific investigation
- The engineering design process
- The ways in which organizations turn inputs into outputs
- Themes, principles and relationships in science
- The definition of systems thinking in management
The lessons in this chapter will prepare you for questions concerning the practices of science and engineering on the MEGA General Science test. In each engaging lesson, you will become acquainted with a new topic that might come up on this exam. As you go through the chapter, you can use the dashboard feature to track the progress you make.
1. Scientific Ways of Thinking
Are you interested in becoming a scientist? Science is all about gaining knowledge by asking good questions, making observations, testing your ideas and drawing conclusions. With a little practice, you can learn to think like a scientist.
2. What is Scientific Research?
This lesson will discuss important components of scientific research, including the scientific method, peer review, statistical significance, and more!
3. Scientific Tools and Their Uses
A scientist relies on tools to help make observations, carry out experiments and take measurements. Learn about the scientific tools used in a lab and the advanced tools used by scientists in the life sciences.
4. Conducting Scientific Research: Safety Concerns & Regulations
When scientists conduct research, safety is a top concern. Learn about the kinds of hazards a scientist faces depending on the kind of work that they do, as well as some risks with scientific research. Plus, see how safety regulations protect all of us.
5. Types of Research Design
There are questions to be answered in all areas of psychology. How are these questions answered by professionals in the field? This lesson covers several different options researchers can use to approach such questions.
6. What is Scientific Investigation? - Definition, Steps & Examples
Scientific investigation is the way in which scientists and researchers use a systematic approach to answer questions about the world around us. Read on to find out more. A quiz is provided to test your understanding.
7. Scientific Inquiry vs. Technological & Engineering Design
In this lesson, we will describe the similarities and differences between the scientific inquiry process and the technological and engineering design process.
8. Engineering Design: Definition & Process
In this lesson, we will define engineering design and explain the engineering design process from defining the problem to testing and redesigning the final product.
9. Technology: How Organizations Turn Inputs to Outputs
In this lesson, you will learn about the three different types of technologies used by organizations and how the type of technology used by an organization impacts the structure of that organization.
10. Unifying Themes, Principles & Relationships in Science
Learn the true definition of science and explore the main themes and principles to understand how science helps us find relationships in the natural world. Take a quiz to test what you know.
11. Systems Thinking in Management: Definition, Theory & Model
System thinking is an essential component of a learning organization. In this lesson, we will be exploring the definition of system thinking, its underlying theory, and model.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA General Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA General Science: Analyzing Scientific Information
- MEGA General Science: Science, Technology & Society
- MEGA General Science: Properties of Matter
- MEGA General Science: Gases
- MEGA General Science: Inorganic Compounds & Chemical Bonds
- MEGA General Science: Stoichiometry & Reactions
- MEGA General Science: Energy Transformations
- MEGA General Science: Force, Motion & Energy
- MEGA General Science: Newton's Laws
- MEGA General Science: Mechanical & Electromagnetic Waves
- MEGA General Science: Electricity & Magnetism
- MEGA General Science: Types of Cells
- MEGA General Science: Classification of Living Organisms
- MEGA General Science: Genetics
- MEGA General Science: History of Life & Evolution
- MEGA General Science: Organisms & Their Environments
- MEGA General Science: Earth History & Structure
- MEGA General Science: Earth's Hydrosphere
- MEGA General Science: Atmosphere, Climate & Weather
- MEGA General Science: The Universe
- MEGA General Science Flashcards