About This Chapter
MEGA Health: Childhood Growth & Development - Chapter Summary
View every lesson to expand upon your knowledge of physical and cognitive development in early childhood. These videos prepare you for questions on the exam relating to:
- Early childhood nutrition, health and safety
- Sense of self and self-socialization
- Social development in childhood
- Anxieties and fears in early childhood
- Parenting styles
- Social issues affecting children
- Middle childhood health, fitness and peer relationships
The resources in this chapter set you up for success on the test. Reviewing topics such as parenting styles and sense of self won't take long thanks to the lessons' video format. They are engaging and they come with quizzes so you can quickly check your understanding to see how you'd do on the real exam.
1. Physical Development in Early Childhood
Between the ages of two and seven, children grow and develop dramatically. Watch this lesson to look at some of the physical developments in early childhood, including balance, fine motor coordination and brain development.
2. Nutrition, Health, and Safety in Early Childhood
As children grow and develop, so do threats to their health. From nutrition and childhood obesity to accidents, this lesson will explore the issues that face children in early childhood and what parents can do to deal with them.
3. Cognitive Development in Children: Conservation, Decentration & Centration
As children grow, so do their thinking skills, knowledge, and learning. Watch this lesson to learn about how young children develop cognitively, including the key cognitive concepts of centration, decentration, and conservation.
4. Sense of Self and Self-Socialization: The Development of Self-Views
In this lesson, we will explore the sense of self, self-socialization, and the two social scientists who contributed to this field. We will examine Charles Cooley's theory of the Looking-Glass Self and George Herbert Mead's stages of play, game, and generalized other.
5. Social Development of Children: Self-Esteem
The social development of children has a strong influence on self-esteem. In this lesson, we will explore the way children feel about themselves and look into several ways caretakers can improve a child's self-esteem.
6. Impact of Parenting Styles on Different Styles of Learners
When you got in trouble as a child, how did your parents react? This lesson covers four different parenting styles identified in educational psychology, including authoritarian, authoritative, indulgent, and neglecting. Typical results from each parenting style are discussed in terms of children's behaviors, as well as application of the styles in a classroom environment.
7. Fears and Anxieties in Early Childhood
Fear is a normal part of childhood, but many parents worry when their children act fearful. Watch this lesson to find out more about the purpose of fear, common childhood fears, and what parents can do to help children deal with fear.
8. Emotion Regulation and Aggression in Early Childhood
What happens when a sweet kid suddenly starts hitting, kicking, and doing other aggressive things? In this lesson, we'll explore aggression in early childhood, including the main types of aggression and how to increase self-regulation.
9. Social Issues that Impact Early Childhood Development
Young children are growing and changing every day as part of early childhood development. But what happens when issues get in the way of development? Watch this video for more information on how divorce and parental substance abuse can affect children.
10. Physical Development in Middle Childhood
Between the ages of seven and twelve, children physically grow and change in ways that influence every part of their lives. In this lesson, we'll look at the ways that physical and brain development impact emotional and intellectual abilities.
11. Health and Fitness in Middle Childhood
The United States is facing a crisis of childhood obesity. But how can we fight this epidemic? Watch this video to learn about how children grow in middle childhood and how fitness and nutrition can help with the problem of obesity.
12. Peer Relationships in Middle Childhood
As children grow, they become more independent of their parents and turn to their peers more often. In this lesson, we'll examine children's evolving concepts of friendship, peer group norms, social conformity, and social comparison.
13. The Role of School in Children's Social & Emotional Development
Every parent knows how much school can influence a child. But in what ways is this influence positive? In this lesson, we'll examine how going to school can impact a child's development, including how children learn from each other and how motivation impacts achievement.
14. Stress and Resilience in Middle Childhood
Childhood can be a stressful time. But what causes children to feel stress, and how can they deal with it? Watch this lesson to find out what factors impact how much stress a child feels, and what properties of resilience allow children to deal with stress.
15. Social Issues in Middle Childhood & Their Effects on Development
Children grow and develop in many ways. But sometimes issues at home or school can get in the way of development. In this lesson, we'll look at some issues that might contribute to developmental problems in a child's life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MEGA Health: Human Development & Genetics
- MEGA Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adult Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Illness & Disease
- MEGA Health: Personal Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Public Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MEGA Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Lifetime Nutrition
- MEGA Health: Healthy Diet Planning
- MEGA Health: Physical Fitness Benefits
- MEGA Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MEGA Health: Human Relationships & Sexuality
- MEGA Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MEGA Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MEGA Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MEGA Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MEGA Health: Goal Setting & Decision Making
- MEGA Health: Resources for Health Information
- MEGA Health: Media & Advertising
- MEGA Health: Health Care Systems
- MEGA Health: Environmental Health
- MEGA Health: Health Education Programs
- MEGA Health Flashcards