About This Chapter
MEGA Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention - Chapter Summary
Learn how issues should be resolved at school and violence prevented, by using these engaging lessons. The videos quickly get you ready for questions on the test relating to:
- Issues of elementary, middle and secondary school-aged children
- Violence in America
- Stopping bullying at school
- Children's activities for resolving conflict
- Styles of conflict resolution
- Preventing school violence
- Domestic violence, sexual harassment and aggressive behavior
- Handling crises
Our video lessons are short and they help you review the most important topics you will see on the exam. In addition to the videos, there are lesson transcripts and quizzes to help you assess your knowledge and skills. By taking the quizzes, you will know how prepared you are for the real exam. Thanks to this chapter, you will comprehend how violence occurs at school and understand methods for stopping it.
1. Common Issues with Elementary School Children
While childhood is meant to be a happy time, there are many children for whom it is a time of emotional difficulty. This lesson looks into some challenges that are common to elementary-aged children.
2. Common Issues with Middle/Secondary School Children
You may have had a tough time during your middle or high school years; during that time, it's common for teens to go through various emotional challenges. Here, we will look into several issues that are commonly faced during this time.
3. Violence in America: Societal & Personal Factors
More than just economic factors play a role in the potential for someone to commit a violent crime. Some other types of factors that may contribute to someone committing a violent crime are discussed here as well.
4. How to Stop Bullying in School
Bullying is a problem all schools - even yours - will face at some point. This lesson will give you strategies (and examples of strategies at work) for curbing a bullying problem in your school.
5. Conflict Resolution Activities for Kids
This lesson will address the importance of teaching children to resolve conflicts peacefully and will offer a three-step process for learning the basic skills of conflict resolution.
6. Conflict Resolution Styles
Countries disagree with each other very frequently, but yet there are only a few wars for each of those disagreements. How do countries avoid resorting to force? This lesson explains the options open to countries to resolve conflicts.
7. School Violence: Definition, History, Causes & Effects
In this lesson, we will learn the definition and history of school violence. We will also discuss the causes and effects of school violence. There will be a quiz at the end of the lesson.
8. School Violence Prevention: Programs & Strategies
School violence has a major impact on students' learning. But what is school violence and what can schools do to provide a safe learning environment? In this lesson, you will learn about various types of school violence and strategies and programs schools have put in place to prevent it.
9. Family Challenges: Divorce, Blended Families & Family Violence
The following lesson covers some of the more challenging issues a growing number of families are currently facing, including divorce, blending of families, and abuse. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
10. Domestic Violence and Sociology: Definition & Effects
This lesson defines domestic violence and gives examples of what domestic abuse can be. The effects of domestic violence for adults, children, adolescents, and families are also discussed.
11. Violence and the Media: How the Media Impacts Violence
For years, psychologists have studied the effect watching violent media has on people's behavior. In this lesson, we'll look at the link between media violence and real-life aggression and discover why watching violent TV might affect people's levels of aggression.
12. Violence Against Women and Men: Definitions & Gender Differences
Some types of crime are especially painful due to their personal nature. This lesson discusses three forms of violence, including sexual assault, rape, and domestic violence. Definitions, basic statistics, and a discussion of gender differences are provided.
13. Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development
Amid the changes of adolescence, some teens struggle with sexual harassment. Watch this lesson to find out more about the types of sexual harassment, including sexual abuse and sexual bullying, and the effects they have on adolescents.
14. Aggressive Behavior: Definition, Types & Signs
Aggressive behaviors are those that are hostile and violate other people's rights. Learn about reactive and proactive aggressive behaviors, the mental disorders associated with aggressive behavior, and more, in this lesson.
15. Crisis Counseling & Intervention Strategies
This lesson will explore the important elements of crisis counseling. We will also discuss strategies for intervention. The lesson will end with a short quiz to see what you have learned.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MEGA Health: Human Development & Genetics
- MEGA Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adult Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Illness & Disease
- MEGA Health: Personal Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Public Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MEGA Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Lifetime Nutrition
- MEGA Health: Healthy Diet Planning
- MEGA Health: Physical Fitness Benefits
- MEGA Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MEGA Health: Human Relationships & Sexuality
- MEGA Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MEGA Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MEGA Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MEGA Health: Goal Setting & Decision Making
- MEGA Health: Resources for Health Information
- MEGA Health: Media & Advertising
- MEGA Health: Health Care Systems
- MEGA Health: Environmental Health
- MEGA Health: Health Education Programs
- MEGA Health Flashcards