About This Chapter
MEGA Health: Goal Setting & Decision Making- Chapter Summary
Take advantage of our resources including lessons, short quizzes and a chapter exam to make sure you have the information you need to address goal setting and decision making on the MEGA Health assessment. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Discuss student involvement in personal, family and community health
- Explain use of fitness assessments to set health goals
- Discuss how personal and family health goals vary
- Share information about health advocacy in schools and communities
- Describe public health professions
- Describe the role of health education teachers and students in the community
- Define the coordinate school health program and identify types of problems and problem-solving strategies
- List problem-solving skills for kids and decision-making and risk-taking behaviors in adolescence
- Define critical thinking and share critical thinking activities for middle and high school students
Don't let the process of studying for the MEGA Health assessment feel like a burden. Our expert instructors have compiled study materials and packaged them in fun lessons you can use to boost your comprehension of goal setting and decision making. Before, during or after reviewing each lesson, feel free to take the short quiz to gauge your readiness to take the exam. A broader chapter exam is available to enhance your test preparations.
1. Encouraging Student Involvement in Personal & Community Health
Students can be encouraged to demonstrate newly learned skills and concepts to make positive impacts in their environment. Read this lesson to learn how students can apply themselves to influence family, community, and their own person health.
2. Using Fitness Assessments to Set Health Goals
Everybody wants to get healthier, so let's learn how to use fitness assessments to set your health goals. We'll look at an actual list of popular tests and techniques and we'll discuss how to interpret the tests so you can reach your health goals.
3. The Role of Health Education Teachers & Students in the Community
What is health education? How are teachers involved in health education in the community? And how can students make a difference? You'll find out in this lesson.
4. The Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child Model
The Whole School, Whole Community, and Whole Child (WSCC) model is a comprehensive framework for addressing health and fitness in children. We will explore its main components and provide examples of how to implement them.
5. Problem Solving Skills for Kids
Learning how to solve problems - whether math problems, social problems, or any other type- is one of the most important aspects of a child's education. As a skill that affects every area of life, problem solving ought to be, and is, a significant focus in the classroom. This lesson will give you some ideas on how to help provide children with problem solving skills.
6. Decision Making and Risk Taking Behaviors in Adolescence
Teenagers often behave in reckless ways. But why? In this lesson, we'll look at how brain development leads to risky behaviors in adolescence, including the brain systems involved and the evolutionary reason for risk-taking in teenagers.
7. Types of Problems & Problem Solving Strategies
We solve hundreds of small problems everyday. This lesson covers different types of problems, such as routine vs. non-routine, and many of the different problem-solving strategies we use, including algorithms, heuristics, graphic representations and the IDEAL Strategy.
8. What is Critical Thinking? - Definition, Skills & Meaning
Critical thinking is a term that we hear a lot, but many people don't really stop to think about what it means or how to use it. This lesson will tell you exactly what it means and make you realize that the average person largely ignores critical thinking.
9. Critical Thinking Problems for Kids
In today's world, critical thinking is a crucial part of being an active and engaged learner and thinker. This lesson will give you some problems that will help your students engage with thinking critically.
10. Critical Thinking Activities for Middle School
Critical thinking, a Common Core requirement, is often a challenge at the middle school level. Various strategies can be used to teach students how to analyze reading material and apply it to the real world. Read on to learn more about various levels of questioning as well as different activities that may be used to introduce critical thinking in the classroom.
11. Critical Thinking Activities for High School
This lesson discusses the importance of critical thinking. Read on for several suggestions for implementing critical thinking activities in the classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MEGA Health: Human Development & Genetics
- MEGA Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adult Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Illness & Disease
- MEGA Health: Personal Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Public Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MEGA Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Lifetime Nutrition
- MEGA Health: Healthy Diet Planning
- MEGA Health: Physical Fitness Benefits
- MEGA Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MEGA Health: Human Relationships & Sexuality
- MEGA Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MEGA Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MEGA Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MEGA Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MEGA Health: Resources for Health Information
- MEGA Health: Media & Advertising
- MEGA Health: Health Care Systems
- MEGA Health: Environmental Health
- MEGA Health: Health Education Programs
- MEGA Health Flashcards