About This Chapter
MEGA Health: Health Care Systems - Chapter Summary
This chapter uses informative lessons on the various factors and components of health care systems to you get ready for the related sections of the MEGA Health exam. It touches on all of the following topics:
- Making health care decisions
- Health care in late adulthood
- Awareness, attitudes, and prevention in health care
- The role of health insurance
- The Affordable Health Care Act
- The U.S. health care system and other health care systems
- Forms of health care
- Communal health care for the elderly
- The effect of technology on health behaviors
Whether you prefer to learn by reading or watching, this chapter has you covered with both a video and transcript of each lesson. You'll find navigating through the material to be easy either way, with bolded terms throughout the transcripts highlighting key topics and the timeline feature allowing you to skip around to main points of each video.
1. Making Health Care Decisions: Factors, Choices & Criteria
Making decisions relating to your healthcare may be a daunting challenge. This lesson will explore where you can turn to for more information and which types of information are best avoided.
2. Health Care Treatment in Late Adulthood
As people age, their bodies change, but what exactly does that mean in terms of health care? Watch this lesson to find out more about illness and disease in late adulthood, as well as the types of health care facilities often frequented in later life.
3. Health Care: Awareness, Attitudes, & Prevention
During late life, health issues can become both more common and more serious. But health can be impacted by a person's attitudes and behaviors. In this lesson, we'll explore how prevention and attitude can play a role in older people's health.
4. Health Insurance and Health Care: Overview, Roles & Regulations
This lesson will explain the major aspects of health insurance and its role in your health care costs. We will discuss premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, copays, and more!
5. Affordable Health Care Act: Description, Overview & Relevance to HR Management
One of the newest federal laws facing employers today is the Affordable Care Act. In this lesson, you'll be provided an overview of the Affordable Care Act and its relevance to human resource management. A short quiz follows.
6. The U.S. Health Care System: Description, Structure, Cost, Quality & Access
This lesson will explore the issues associated with the costs and quality of health care access, as well as what HMOs, PPOs, POS, HSAs, Medicare, and Medicaid are.
7. Health Care Systems: Types & Concept
In this lesson, we will take a look at the different types of health care systems and how they affect the lives and well-being of communities around the world.
8. Types of Health Care: HMOs, PPOs, Socialized Medicine & Direct-Fee System
In this lesson, we discuss health care as a social institution and how health care systems differ worldwide. We also discuss several different ways that health care is paid for by patients, organizations and government.
9. Community-Based Health Care Services for the Elderly
Many people work hard to bring health care to elderly patients without making them travel to the doctor. Watch this video to find out about community-based health care options for the elderly, including what they are and common types of them.
10. Impact of Technology on Health Behaviors
Health related technology involves computers, the internet, websites, mobile phones, trackers, apps, and a lot more. And all of them may influence our health behaviors. This lesson points out a few ways this may occur.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MEGA Health: Human Development & Genetics
- MEGA Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adult Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Illness & Disease
- MEGA Health: Personal Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Public Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MEGA Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Lifetime Nutrition
- MEGA Health: Healthy Diet Planning
- MEGA Health: Physical Fitness Benefits
- MEGA Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MEGA Health: Human Relationships & Sexuality
- MEGA Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MEGA Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MEGA Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MEGA Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MEGA Health: Goal Setting & Decision Making
- MEGA Health: Resources for Health Information
- MEGA Health: Media & Advertising
- MEGA Health: Environmental Health
- MEGA Health: Health Education Programs
- MEGA Health Flashcards