About This Chapter
MEGA Health: Illness & Disease - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers the unique opportunity to access lessons geared toward exam topics on the MEGA Health assessment. Gain greater insight into illness and disease to ensure you're ready for questions on the exam that ask you to:
- Identify and describe types of diseases, and discuss the epidemiology of communicable and noncommunicable diseases
- Analyze autoimmune diseases and hypersensitivity, and define immune deficiency diseases
- List cardiovascular disease risk factors and preventative strategies, and describe tobacco use and health
- Discuss the development, risk factors and prevention of breast cancer and other types of cancers
- Define food borne illness and treatment for this type of illness
- Discuss the effects and management of chronic illness
- Differentiate between infection and disease, and describe disease control and prevention
Strengthen your knowledge of illness and disease by easily navigating the lessons in this chapter using the right-hand sidebar available after choosing your first lesson. Watch them as entertaining videos, or access full transcripts of the lessons with helpful vocabulary words. Feel free to take short quizzes and a chapter exam to gauge your comprehension of lesson concepts. Any questions you have about topics in this chapter can be submitted to our experts.
1. What Are the Types of Diseases?
This lesson will focus on the different types of diseases that a person may develop or contract. We'll discuss the differences between acute, chronic, primary, secondary, local, and systemic diseases.
2. Epidemiology of Communicable & Noncommunicable Diseases
Within the field of epidemiology, there are two major classifications of disease: communicable and non-communicable. Today you will learn the differences between these classifications, as well as some examples of each.
3. Autoimmune Diseases and Hypersensitivity
This lesson will talk about what defines an autoimmune disease, a hypersensitivity reaction, and more. We'll also discuss Graves' disease and myasthenia gravis.
4. Immune Deficiency Diseases: Definitions & Types
This lesson will teach you about the immune system, what immune deficiency means, why that's dangerous, and about the important causes of such a problem, including HIV/AIDS, SCID, CVID, and more.
5. Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors & Preventative Strategies
This lesson will describe for you the numerous controllable and uncontrollable risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease as well as important preventative strategies to maximize your health.
6. Breast Cancer: Development, Risk Factors & Prevention
Do you know why breast cancer occurs? What factors affect its possible development? This lesson will tell you as we look into what breast cancer is, its many risk factors, and preventative strategies.
7. Risk Factors, Screening, Treatment, and Prevention of Cancer
Cancer prevention, screening, and treatment are three important steps in helping to beat back this devastating condition. We will discuss them, as well as the common risk factors for cancer, in this lesson.
8. The Differences Between Infection and Disease
This lesson will go over the differences between an infection and a disease. We'll cover everything from prions and infectivity to opportunistic infections and idiopathic disease. We'll also learn what the etiology of disease is and much more.
9. Chronic Illness: Definition, Effects & Management
This lesson will provide a definition for chronic illnesses. Also, it will describe the effects of chronic illnesses and ways in which to properly manage these illnesses to live a better quality of life. A short quiz will follow.
10. Food-Borne Illness: Prevention and Treatment
Food can be contaminated in many ways. In this lesson, you'll learn about food-borne illnesses and how they infect your body. We'll also explore how food-borne illnesses can be prevented and treated.
11. Tobacco Use & Health
Tobacco contains an addictive chemical called nicotine. Nicotine is why it is so hard to stop using tobacco once you start. Learn how smoking or chewing tobacco causes diseases, affects your breathing and even causes bad breath and yellow teeth.
12. Disease Control & Prevention
This lesson will discuss the many different ways by which people can control disease. Everything from vaccination to sterilization and beyond will be mentioned so that you can better appreciate the large arsenal of tools at our disposal.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MEGA Health: Human Development & Genetics
- MEGA Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adult Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Personal Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Public Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MEGA Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Lifetime Nutrition
- MEGA Health: Healthy Diet Planning
- MEGA Health: Physical Fitness Benefits
- MEGA Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MEGA Health: Human Relationships & Sexuality
- MEGA Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MEGA Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MEGA Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MEGA Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MEGA Health: Goal Setting & Decision Making
- MEGA Health: Resources for Health Information
- MEGA Health: Media & Advertising
- MEGA Health: Health Care Systems
- MEGA Health: Environmental Health
- MEGA Health: Health Education Programs
- MEGA Health Flashcards