About This Chapter
MEGA Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies - Chapter Summary
Teaching strategies for maintaining physical safety is an integral part of health education, so you can expect to find these types of questions on the MEGA Health exam. Use the lessons in this chapter as a comprehensive review of safety techniques. You'll examine:
- Residential safety and childproofing
- Personal safety
- Safety for drivers and pedestrians
- Recreational safety
- Preventing intentional injuries
- Effects of alcohol
- Emergency care
- Environmental emergencies
The lessons in this chapter have been formulated to review information about safety and injury prevention that you are likely to see on the exam. Each lesson contains a short video to visually exhibit the material. The video's transcript is included as a great resource for taking notes. You can take a self-assessment quiz at the end of each lesson to test your knowledge and practice for the exam.
1. Residential Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
Residential safety involves safety measures that concern your home. This lesson will explain the many dangers that lurk at home and how you can avoid them.
2. Identifying & Avoiding Threats to Personal Safety
In this lesson, you'll be learning about how to increase your students' personal safety. We'll go over ways to improve safety at school, as well as ways to teach them to be safe at home and on the way to and from school. This lesson will explore ways to teach young students and high school students about personal safety.
3. Pedestrian & Automotive Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
The safety of pedestrians and motor vehicle operators are often interlinked. This lesson will teach you about important safety measures you can take as a driver and a pedestrian to protect your life and those of others.
4. Water & Recreational Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
We all love to have fun, but that fun may come at a cost unless you are safe about recreation, namely water activities like boating and swimming. This lesson will show you why and what you can do to protect yourself.
5. Strategies to Prevent Intentional Injuries
Violent crimes occur on a daily basis, but that does not mean you have to be a victim. This lesson will outline some basic, but important tips and strategies you can use to keep yourself safe at home and in the outer world.
6. Child Proofing with Safety Equipment
What dangers lurk, waiting to injure or even kill a child? What safety equipment can you use to prevent an injury to a child or even their death? This lesson focuses on safety equipment that can be used for a child's benefit for sport, car, and home.
7. The Effects of Alcohol: Physiological, Behavioral & Long-Term
If you've ever wondered why men seem to tolerate alcohol better than women or what alcohol does to the body and mind, then tune into this lesson for more information.
8. Providing Emergency Care: Types & Methods
This lesson will teach you the first important steps you may need to take during an emergency situation and some basic but important life-saving techniques you can use during such an emergency.
9. Safety Precautions for Weather Emergencies
Hurricanes, tornadoes, lightning, and flooding! What should you do to prepare for weather emergencies? Learn some important precautions to take, and then see what you know with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MEGA Health: Human Development & Genetics
- MEGA Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adult Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Illness & Disease
- MEGA Health: Personal Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Public Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MEGA Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Lifetime Nutrition
- MEGA Health: Healthy Diet Planning
- MEGA Health: Physical Fitness Benefits
- MEGA Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MEGA Health: Human Relationships & Sexuality
- MEGA Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MEGA Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MEGA Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MEGA Health: Goal Setting & Decision Making
- MEGA Health: Resources for Health Information
- MEGA Health: Media & Advertising
- MEGA Health: Health Care Systems
- MEGA Health: Environmental Health
- MEGA Health: Health Education Programs
- MEGA Health Flashcards