About This Chapter
MEGA Health: Media & Advertising - Chapter Summary
Mass media and advertising can have a lasting effect on young minds, so it's important to understand how the media and advertisers can influence health behaviors. Let us help you review for questions about advertising and mass media such as those you may find on the MEGA Health exam. You'll examine:
- Media regulation
- Advertising platforms and strategy
- Mass media
- Subliminal and product advertising
- Advertising abuses and stealth advertising
- Mixed health messages in the media
The lessons in this chapter have been specially developed to provide you with several methods for learning. There are videos to help illustrate the material. Transcripts of the videos are included for text-based learning. You can take a self-assessment quiz at the end of each lesson to apply what you've learned and see how questions may appear on the exam.
1. Rules Governing the Media: Definition & Examples
The First Amendment guarantees freedom of the press, but the government still regulates the media in many ways. This lesson examines the laws, rules and regulations that govern various media outlets.
2. Advertising Media Choices and Marketing Strategy
There are many different types of advertising media that marketing managers can choose from in order to create a successful marketing strategy. This lesson covers some of those options, including printed media, television and outdoor media.
3. What Is Mass Media? - Definition, Types, Influence & Examples
Mass media is the means used to communicate to the general public. In this lesson, you will learn the different platforms for mass media and the influence that mass media has on society.
4. Subliminal Advertising: Definition, History & Examples
Can words flashed quickly on a screen make you want to purchase a product? Can a hidden image persuade you to spend your hard-earned cash on something you don't need? These questions surrounding subliminal advertising are discussed in this lesson.
5. What Is Product Advertising? - Definition, Methods & Examples
Product advertising is more than just a commercial or an ad in a magazine. In this lesson, you'll learn about product advertising and the various methods used to advertise products through some examples. A short quiz follows.
6. Advertising Abuses & Regulation
Companies do not always act ethically when trying to persuade consumers to purchase their products. In this lesson, we will discuss the various ways in which advertising can be abused and take a look at controversial advertising and regulation of advertising.
7. Stealth Advertising: Definition & Examples
Not all advertising is clearly on a consumer's radar screen. Just like covert military operations, some companies engage in stealth advertising campaigns. In this lesson, you'll learn about stealth advertising. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz.
8. The Media's Mixed Messages About Health
In this lesson you'll be analyzing the media's mixed messages when it comes to health. We'll specifically get into messages around body image, sexuality, drug use, and violence. By the end of the lesson you'll have strategies to identify and analyze these types of advertisements.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MEGA Health: Human Development & Genetics
- MEGA Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adult Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Illness & Disease
- MEGA Health: Personal Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Public Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MEGA Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Lifetime Nutrition
- MEGA Health: Healthy Diet Planning
- MEGA Health: Physical Fitness Benefits
- MEGA Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MEGA Health: Human Relationships & Sexuality
- MEGA Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MEGA Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MEGA Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MEGA Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MEGA Health: Goal Setting & Decision Making
- MEGA Health: Resources for Health Information
- MEGA Health: Health Care Systems
- MEGA Health: Environmental Health
- MEGA Health: Health Education Programs
- MEGA Health Flashcards