About This Chapter
MEGA Health: Personal Health Promotion - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers aspects of and strategies for healthy living. The lessons pay attention to the particular topics you'll need to be familiar with when taking the MEGA Health exam, such as:
- Defining health and wellness
- The health promotion model
- Healthy behaviors
- Lifestyle choices and personal wellness
- Setting healthy goals
- Strategies for making big choices
- Role of familial health history
- Reducing risk factor effects
- Human flora
Each lesson will give you the chance to make sure you understood it by providing a practice quiz that will link you back to the relevant point in the material whenever you answer incorrectly. And if you're more of an offline studier, these quizzes can also be printed in worksheet form.
1. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
2. What Is Physical Health? - Definition, Components & Examples
Physical health is critical for overall well-being and is the most visible of the various dimensions of health, which also include social, intellectual, emotional, spiritual and environmental health. Some of the most obvious and serious signs that we are unhealthy appear physically. Addressing this dimension is crucial for anyone attempting to sustain overall health and wellness.
3. What Is the Health Promotion Model? - Definition & Theory
In this lesson, you will learn about the health promotion model and its influences on health behaviors. You will also gain an understanding of the theory behind the health promotion model and how that theory affects health promotion outcomes.
4. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
5. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
6. Personal Goal Setting: Definition & Ideas
Everyone sits around daydreaming about what they want to have and do in life. The question is, 'how are we going to do it?' It is important to establish personal goals and then a plan on how to reach them. This lesson shows you how to do that.
7. Tips for Making Realistic Major Choices
This video will offer tips for making realistic major choices. In the lesson, you will learn questions to ask yourself that will guide you in finding major choices that are right for you.
8. Evaluating Family Health History as a Risk Factor for Disease
Certain diseases run in families. A family health history gathers health information about a person's close relatives. Learn how this information can be used to help predict a patient's risk of developing a disease in their lifetime.
9. Mitigating the Effects of Personal Health Risk Factors
There are several personal health risk factors that can increase your chances of serious health issues. This lesson takes a look at some common risk factors that can be addressed before they become much larger problems.
10. Preventing Disease: Normal Human Flora
This lesson will give you a basic understanding of what human flora is. You'll learn about the different locations of flora, such as the gut, and what mutualistic, commensal, and opportunistic microbes are.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MEGA Health: Human Development & Genetics
- MEGA Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adult Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Illness & Disease
- MEGA Health: Public Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MEGA Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Lifetime Nutrition
- MEGA Health: Healthy Diet Planning
- MEGA Health: Physical Fitness Benefits
- MEGA Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MEGA Health: Human Relationships & Sexuality
- MEGA Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MEGA Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MEGA Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MEGA Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MEGA Health: Goal Setting & Decision Making
- MEGA Health: Resources for Health Information
- MEGA Health: Media & Advertising
- MEGA Health: Health Care Systems
- MEGA Health: Environmental Health
- MEGA Health: Health Education Programs
- MEGA Health Flashcards