About This Chapter
MEGA Health: Principles of Nutritional Health - Chapter Summary
Follow along with our professional instructors in this series of short, engaging video lessons to reinforce your understanding of what nutrition is, how you can evaluate nutritional status, and where you can find reliable information about it. Watching these video lessons will help you prepare for related questions on the Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments (MEGA) Health exam regarding:
- Needed nutrients
- Overweight and obesity
- Role of diet and exercise on health and illness
- Factors affecting dietary habits
- Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) values
- Nutritional assessments
- Identifying reliable nutrition information
- Nutrition myths and facts
Watching the video lessons will reinforce your understanding of the content as will reading its accompanying transcript and quiz. The quizzes are short assessments that will help you identify topics you don't understand. They provide video tags allowing you to return to and study the part of the video lesson that discussed these topics.
1. What is Nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of taking in nutrients from the foods you eat. Learn about the six nutrients needed for energy, maintenance of tissues and regulation of bodily processes: carbohydrates, fats, proteins, water, vitamins and minerals.
2. The Issue of Weight Management: Obesity, Risks & Weight Problems
Being overweight or obese are two conditions that have similarities in the problems they may cause, but they aren't precisely the same. This lesson will point out the differences and the unfortunate similarities between the two.
3. How Diet and Exercise Affect Health and Chronic Conditions
Here we will discuss how the elements of diet and exercise can reduce the risk or the severity of a chronic condition or disease. We look specifically at diet and how it can be great, good, okay or terrible. Exercise can be excessive, incorrect, correct or absent.
4. Factors That Affect Dietary Habits & Nutritional Status
Do you know why you eat what you eat? Can you name the factors that have led you to like what you like? This lesson outlines many of the factors that affect our dietary habits and, in some cases, our nutritional status.
5. Dietary Reference Intakes: EAR, RDA, AI & UL
Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) are a set of values used to plan a healthy diet. Learn about the DRI values: Estimated Average Requirements (EARs), Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs), Adequate Intakes (AIs) and Tolerable Upper Intake Levels (ULs).
6. Assessing Your Nutrition, Diet & Health: How to Avoid Disease
A nutritional assessment is used to determine the nutritional status of a person or group of people. Learn about the ABCDs of nutritional assessment: anthropometric assessment, biochemical assessment, clinical assessment and dietary assessment.
7. How to Find Sources of Reliable Nutrition Information
There is a lot of nutritional information available through the Internet and other media outlets, so how do you find reliable sources of nutritional information? Follow along to find out and learn how to protect yourself from false claims.
8. Nutritional Myths, Facts, Risks & Benefits
Have you heard about the latest supplement craze that will cure you of something? Is it worth taking? This lesson will talk about the benefits, risks, myths, and facts surrounding dietary supplements.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MEGA Health: Human Development & Genetics
- MEGA Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adult Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Illness & Disease
- MEGA Health: Personal Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Public Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Lifetime Nutrition
- MEGA Health: Healthy Diet Planning
- MEGA Health: Physical Fitness Benefits
- MEGA Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MEGA Health: Human Relationships & Sexuality
- MEGA Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MEGA Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MEGA Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MEGA Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MEGA Health: Goal Setting & Decision Making
- MEGA Health: Resources for Health Information
- MEGA Health: Media & Advertising
- MEGA Health: Health Care Systems
- MEGA Health: Environmental Health
- MEGA Health: Health Education Programs
- MEGA Health Flashcards