About This Chapter
MEGA Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence - Chapter Summary
All of the lessons in this chapter closely examine topics covered on the MEGA Health assessment related to substance use, abuse and dependence. Make sure you're ready for questions on the day of the test by getting reacquainted with this subject area. In no time, you will be able to:
- Define substance use, abuse and dependence, and discuss symptoms and treatment of substance dependence
- Explain how individuals transition from misuse to abuse, and discuss the physical consequences and treatment of drug abuse
- Describe the history of substance use and abuse and how substance use affects health and chronic conditions
- Share why people use drugs, and identify risk factors and protective factors for drug-taking behavior
- List personal and social dangers of drug abuse, and describe relationships between drugs, violence and crime
- Differentiate between physical and psychological substance dependence, and discuss adolescents and risk factors of substance abuse
- Provide details about drug use in the United States, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and substance abuse screening and diagnosis
The easy-to-navigate lessons in this chapter are presented by expert instructors with a wealth of knowledge on substance use, abuse and dependence. Review the lessons in your sequence of choice, and revisit them as many times as you desire. At any time, take short quizzes and a chapter exam to assess your comprehension of the lessons. If you have questions about lesson topics, don't hesitate to submit them to our experts.
1. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
2. Substance Dependence: Definition, Treatment & Symptoms
In this lesson, you will learn what substance dependence is, what it looks like, and how it is commonly treated. You will also learn the DSM-IV criteria that define substance dependence.
3. From Misuse to Abuse: Distinction & Effects
This lesson will differentiate drug misuse and abuse. You will also learn how the central nervous system is affected by drugs and what other effects drugs have upon the body.
4. Drug Abuse: Physical Consequences and Treatment
The kidneys, heart, lungs, and skin are all affected by drug use, sometimes severely so. You'll learn how and also the many different ways by which a person can be treated for substance abuse in this lesson.
5. How Substance Use Affects Health and Chronic Conditions
While not every substance and every chronic condition can be covered in a single lesson, we attempt to look at the most common types (alcohol and smoking), as well as some generalizations about illegal substances.
6. The History of Substance Use & Abuse
Have you ever wondered if drugs were used in the ancient world? If so, why? What is the modern history of drug use and abuse? In this lesson, you'll get a crash course in the history of drugs.
7. Why Do People Use Drugs?
In this lesson, we'll explore some of the reasons people use drugs. We'll look at four different examples of drug use, including prescription drugs, stimulants, alcohol, and marijuana.
8. Risk Factors & Protective Factors for Drug-Taking Behavior
In this lesson, you'll learn that there are two sides to the coin of drug-taking behavior. On one side, there are risk factors that may cause someone to take drugs, and on the other side, there are protective factors that help a person avoid taking drugs.
9. Personal & Social Dangers of Drug Abuse
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the many unfortunate personal and social dangers that drug abuse poses, including those that can harm society at large.
10. Physical vs Psychological Substance Dependence
Substance abuse can include physical dependence, psychological dependence, or both. This lesson explains the difference between physical substance dependence and psychological substance dependence.
11. Relationships Between Drugs, Violence & Crime
Many inmates in both state and federal prisons say they committed their crimes while under the influence of drugs. Around one-quarter of those inmates committed violent crimes. This lesson explores the relationship between drugs, violence and crime.
12. Adolescents & the Risk of Substance Abuse
In this lesson, you'll learn about many of the key factors that predispose adolescents to substance abuse, including things that may be going on at home or in school.
13. Drug Use in the United States
In this lesson, we'll learn about the prevalence of drug use in the United States including the demographics of different substance abusers and recent trends in use. We'll look at four examples; marijuana, cocaine, opiates, and methamphetamines.
14. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA): History, Role & Purpose
The Drug Enforcement Administration, or DEA, is the leading law enforcement agency responsible for preventing the distribution of illegal narcotics in the United States. This lesson explains the roles and history of the DEA.
15. Substance Abuse Screening & Diagnosis
Substance abuse screening and diagnosis are used to determine first whether a person has a substance abuse issue and then to determine what that problem is and how it can be treated. This lesson looks at how screening and diagnosis take place.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MEGA Health: Human Development & Genetics
- MEGA Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Adult Growth & Development
- MEGA Health: Illness & Disease
- MEGA Health: Personal Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Public Health Promotion
- MEGA Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MEGA Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MEGA Health: Lifetime Nutrition
- MEGA Health: Healthy Diet Planning
- MEGA Health: Physical Fitness Benefits
- MEGA Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MEGA Health: Human Relationships & Sexuality
- MEGA Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MEGA Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MEGA Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MEGA Health: Goal Setting & Decision Making
- MEGA Health: Resources for Health Information
- MEGA Health: Media & Advertising
- MEGA Health: Health Care Systems
- MEGA Health: Environmental Health
- MEGA Health: Health Education Programs
- MEGA Health Flashcards