About This Chapter
MEGA Marketing: Business Calculation Basics- Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter explore the basics of business calculation, including slopes and rate of change, ratios and rates, and calculations with ratios and proportions. Percents, compounding interest formulas, and taxes are also discussed. By the end of this chapter, you should be familiar with:
- Slopes and rate of change
- Ratios and rates
- Calculations with ratios and proportions
- Application of percents
- Compounding interest formulas
- Taxes and discounts
Short, engaging video lessons make the material fun and interesting, and self-assessment quizzes help you ensure you retain what you've learned. Use the jump feature under the timeline tab to review key moments from the video lessons, and visit your Dashboard to track your progress through the course.
Business Calculation Basics - Chapter Objectives
The Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments were designed to demonstrate competency in various subject areas and are used to ensure compliance with teacher licensing requirements. The Marketing exam measures competency in core marketing principles, marketing functions, and global marketing and research. The content in this Business Calculation Basics chapter of the study guide covers material that is tested in the core marketing principles section, which comprises about 36% of the entire exam. The questions on the exam are multiple-choice, and the test is administered via computer.
1. Slopes and Rate of Change
If you throw a ball straight up, there will be a point when it stops moving for an instant before coming back down. Consider this as we study the rate of change of human cannonballs in this lesson.
2. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
3. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
4. Percents: Definition, Application & Examples
Maybe you know that 95% is an A and 75% is a C. But what do those percents really mean? In this lesson, we'll learn about percents, including how to convert them to fractions and decimals.
5. Compounding Interest Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Compound interest is a great way to have your money work for you. In this lesson, find out the formula for calculating compound interest and practice using the formula with several examples.
6. Taxes & Discounts: Calculations & Examples
When you go shopping, you don't want to be surprised by the amount of tax on an item. You also want to fully understand discounts to know how much you can save. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating both tax and discounts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Marketing: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Marketing: Basic Concepts
- MEGA Marketing: Communication Methods & Functions
- MEGA Marketing: Environments & Strategies
- MEGA Marketing: Ethics & Public Relations
- MEGA Marketing: The Business Cycle
- MEGA Marketing: Market System Economics & Politics
- MEGA Marketing: Economic Growth & Indicators
- MEGA Marketing: Business Ownership
- MEGA Marketing: Business Plans
- MEGA Marketing: Functions of Management
- MEGA Marketing: Principles of Financial Management
- MEGA Marketing: Interpreting Data & Graphs
- MEGA Marketing: Graphing & Evaluating Equations & Functions
- MEGA Marketing: Quadratic Equations & Functions
- MEGA Marketing: Probability & Statistics for Business
- MEGA Marketing: Depreciation & Salvage Values
- MEGA Marketing: Interest & Purchases
- MEGA Marketing: Financial Analysis Calculations
- MEGA Marketing: Product Development & Retailing
- MEGA Marketing: Services Marketing
- MEGA Marketing: The Marketing Mix & Promotional Strategies
- MEGA Marketing: Consumer Protection Laws
- MEGA Marketing: Selling & Pricing Strategy
- MEGA Marketing: Channel Management
- MEGA Marketing: Segmentation & Product Marketing
- MEGA Marketing: Competitive Advantage
- MEGA Marketing: Consumer Decision Making
- MEGA Marketing: International Marketplace
- MEGA Marketing: Research & Data Applications
- MEGA Marketing: Computer Literacy
- MEGA Marketing: Careers in Marketing
- MEGA Marketing Flashcards