About This Chapter
MEGA Marketing: Business Calculation Basics- Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter explore the basics of business calculation, including slopes and rate of change, ratios and rates, and calculations with ratios and proportions. Percents, compounding interest formulas, and taxes are also discussed. By the end of this chapter, you should be familiar with:
- Slopes and rate of change
- Ratios and rates
- Calculations with ratios and proportions
- Application of percents
- Compounding interest formulas
- Taxes and discounts
Short, engaging video lessons make the material fun and interesting, and self-assessment quizzes help you ensure you retain what you've learned. Use the jump feature under the timeline tab to review key moments from the video lessons, and visit your Dashboard to track your progress through the course.
Business Calculation Basics - Chapter Objectives
The Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments were designed to demonstrate competency in various subject areas and are used to ensure compliance with teacher licensing requirements. The Marketing exam measures competency in core marketing principles, marketing functions, and global marketing and research. The content in this Business Calculation Basics chapter of the study guide covers material that is tested in the core marketing principles section, which comprises about 36% of the entire exam. The questions on the exam are multiple-choice, and the test is administered via computer.
1. Slopes and Rate of Change
The rate of change is shown through one variable as it changes the function of another variable and can be seen furthermore as location changes as a function of time. Learn more about slopes, rates of change, and the rate of velocity.
2. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
In mathematics, a ratio indicates the number of times that a smaller number is contained within a larger number, while a rate expresses a ratio for two quantities measured in different units. Explore the definitions and examples of ratios and rates, learn how to compare them, and solve practice problems.
3. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Ratios allow us a way to mathematically compare two or more items, and proportions can help us find out even more information. Learn the definition of ratios and proportions, and understand how to calculate ratio and proportion problems.
4. Percents: Definition, Application & Examples
Percent means per hundred and is expressed with the symbol %. Explore the definition, application, and example practice problems of percents and learn how to use percents with fractions and decimals.
5. Compounding Interest Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Compound interest refers to interest calculated on both the principal amount of a loan or investment as well as on the accumulated interest. Learn about compounding interest formulas, review the calculations, and work examples. Understand the difference between simple and compound interest, and recognize the importance of the order of operations in calculating compound interest.
6. Taxes & Discounts: Calculations & Examples
Shopping taxes and discounts are two calculations consumers need to understand. Learn the connection between math and shopping, examine examples and calculations for taxes and discounts, and review examples of tax as well as tax and discount calculations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the MEGA Marketing: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Marketing: Basic Concepts
- MEGA Marketing: Communication Methods & Functions
- MEGA Marketing: Environments & Strategies
- MEGA Marketing: Ethics & Public Relations
- MEGA Marketing: The Business Cycle
- MEGA Marketing: Market System Economics & Politics
- MEGA Marketing: Economic Growth & Indicators
- MEGA Marketing: Business Ownership
- MEGA Marketing: Business Plans
- MEGA Marketing: Functions of Management
- MEGA Marketing: Principles of Financial Management
- MEGA Marketing: Interpreting Data & Graphs
- MEGA Marketing: Graphing & Evaluating Equations & Functions
- MEGA Marketing: Quadratic Equations & Functions
- MEGA Marketing: Probability & Statistics for Business
- MEGA Marketing: Depreciation & Salvage Values
- MEGA Marketing: Interest & Purchases
- MEGA Marketing: Financial Analysis Calculations
- MEGA Marketing: Product Development & Retailing
- MEGA Marketing: Services Marketing
- MEGA Marketing: The Marketing Mix & Promotional Strategies
- MEGA Marketing: Consumer Protection Laws
- MEGA Marketing: Selling & Pricing Strategy
- MEGA Marketing: Channel Management
- MEGA Marketing: Segmentation & Product Marketing
- MEGA Marketing: Competitive Advantage
- MEGA Marketing: Consumer Decision Making
- MEGA Marketing: International Marketplace
- MEGA Marketing: Research & Data Applications
- MEGA Marketing: Computer Literacy
- MEGA Marketing: Careers in Marketing
- MEGA Marketing Flashcards