About This Chapter
MEGA Marketing: Consumer Decision Making - Chapter Summary
Watch these lesson videos to review the different factors that affect consumer behavior and the theories used to explain consumer behavior. Each lesson video is taught by one of our expert instructors and is mobile device compatible so that you may have an effective and versatile way to review:
- The processes of consumer decision making
- Effects of brand familiarity and advertising on consumer behavior
- Use of consumer behavior theory in marketing strategies
- Role of consumer psychology in understanding consumer behavior
- Different types of consumer buying decisions
- Brand recognition and brand preference
- Brand repositioning and how companies can reposition them selves in a market
- Customer integration in marketing operations
In addition to watching these lesson videos, reinforce your retention of the material presented in these lessons by reading the lesson transcripts. To see how well you retained the information from these lessons, take the lesson quizzes that accompany them. Then use the video tags from your quiz results to return to and study the sections of the lessons that discuss the topics you don't understand.
MEGA Marketing: Consumer Decision Making Objectives
One of the exams used to certify future Missouri high school marketing teachers is the Missouri Education Gateway Assessments (MEGA) Marketing exam. Individuals who take this computer-based exam are asked to complete 100 multiple-choice questions in a two-hour testing session. Of the topics you will see on this exam, 36% will belong to the content domain of Core Marketing Principles, which may include some questions on customer behavior.
1. Understanding the Consumer Decision-Making Process: A Marketing Must
Consumers move through a predictable 5-step decision-making process as they decide to make a purchase. Explore how understanding the consumer decision-making process is an important element and a must-have in developing an effective marketing plan.
2. Effects of Advertising on Consumer Buying Behavior
Advertising is a key part of a marketing plan to increase consumer awareness and influence consumer buying behavior. Learn about the importance of advertising, especially for new companies, the impact that advertising has on a company's market share, and how does this shape the marketing budget.
3. Consumer Behavior Theory and Marketing Strategy
Marketers use consumer behavior theory to create marketing strategies that target the consumer buying process. Learn how to define consumer behavior, how it impacts marketing strategies, and how the 4Ps of marketing--product, price, promotion, and place--are applied.
4. Consumer Psychology and the Purchase Process
Consumer psychology relies on how mental processes like learning, memory, and conditioning can influence people's purchase process. Learn about how these mental processes influence the consumer's behavior and the way they see brands.
5. Brand Familiarity and the Purchase Process
Brand familiarity makes us feel confident about our purchasing decisions, thus influencing the purchasing process. Explore the different levels of brand familiarity and how they can impact the decision-making process, and learn how becoming more familiar with a brand can increase our confidence in it and influence the level of purchase involvement.
6. Cognitive Dissonance & Post-Purchase Process
Cognitive dissonance can result when we have conflicting ideas, beliefs, or attitudes. Economic decisions involving high-involvement purchases can lead to post-purchase dissonance, a form of cognitive dissonance. Explore the factors that impact post-purchase dissonance and understand ways to avoid post-purchase dissonance.
7. Buying Behavior and Marketing: Types of Consumer Buying Decisions
Marketers must consider consumers' buying behavior to create successful marketing strategies. Learn about purchase involvement and the different types of consumer buying decisions, including nominal, limited, and extended, and how marketing strategies vary according to each type.
8. Brand Preference: Definition & Explanation
Brand preference is when people choose a specific company's product or service over other equal choices for any of a host of possible reasons, from good past experiences to word-of-mouth advertising. Learn how to define brand preferences, explore its elements, and delve into the psychological explanation of how brand preference works.
9. Brand Recognition in Marketing: Definition & Explanation
Brand recognition is a major goal of marketing. In this lesson, you'll learn about what brand recognition is and some of its related concepts. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz after the lesson to reinforce your knowledge.
10. Brand Repositioning: Definition, Strategies & Examples
Companies that go through a rough patch often implement changes to reposition themselves in the marketplace. Learn the definition of brand repositioning, explore some brand repositioning strategies through real-world examples, and discover how to successfully implement brand repositioning.
11. Influences on Consumer Buying Decisions: Cultures, Values & More
External influences are all around us and play a large role in consumer buying decisions. Learn about how cultures, values, groups of reference, and other external influences shape our purchases.
12. Customer Integration: Definition & Overview
This lesson discusses customer integration as a method of reducing human resource costs, and simplifying the distribution process for both the business and the customer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the MEGA Marketing: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Marketing: Basic Concepts
- MEGA Marketing: Communication Methods & Functions
- MEGA Marketing: Environments & Strategies
- MEGA Marketing: Ethics & Public Relations
- MEGA Marketing: The Business Cycle
- MEGA Marketing: Market System Economics & Politics
- MEGA Marketing: Economic Growth & Indicators
- MEGA Marketing: Business Ownership
- MEGA Marketing: Business Plans
- MEGA Marketing: Functions of Management
- MEGA Marketing: Principles of Financial Management
- MEGA Marketing: Business Calculation Basics
- MEGA Marketing: Interpreting Data & Graphs
- MEGA Marketing: Graphing & Evaluating Equations & Functions
- MEGA Marketing: Quadratic Equations & Functions
- MEGA Marketing: Probability & Statistics for Business
- MEGA Marketing: Depreciation & Salvage Values
- MEGA Marketing: Interest & Purchases
- MEGA Marketing: Financial Analysis Calculations
- MEGA Marketing: Product Development & Retailing
- MEGA Marketing: Services Marketing
- MEGA Marketing: The Marketing Mix & Promotional Strategies
- MEGA Marketing: Consumer Protection Laws
- MEGA Marketing: Selling & Pricing Strategy
- MEGA Marketing: Channel Management
- MEGA Marketing: Segmentation & Product Marketing
- MEGA Marketing: Competitive Advantage
- MEGA Marketing: International Marketplace
- MEGA Marketing: Research & Data Applications
- MEGA Marketing: Computer Literacy
- MEGA Marketing: Careers in Marketing
- MEGA Marketing Flashcards