About This Chapter
MEGA Physical Education: Benefits for Schools & Students - Chapter Summary
Explore the philosophies of physical education and learn about the importance of fitness by working through this chapter. You'll find engaging lessons and practice quizzes to help you prepare for the MEGA Physical Education exam. After completing this chapter, you will know more about:
- Key philosophies and goals related to physical education
- The impact of physical fitness on learning
- Benefits of exercise on brain development, behavior and mental health
- Factors that impact physical education
- Integration of skills in physical education
- Changes in physical activity throughout life
- Ways fitness can promote healthy competition
Gain a new understanding concerning the benefits of fitness for the exam through these lessons. After completing all of the lessons, see how much you remember by using the self-assessment quizzes. You can contact our instructors if you have any questions about the lesson material.
1. Goals & Philosophies of Physical Education
This lesson gives you an overview of the philosophy, goals, purposes, and current trends in physical education. You'll learn how all of this ends up benefiting students in many ways.
2. How Fitness Influences Learning
This lesson provides a quick overview of how fitness and a little exercise before testing can improve children's learning process. We get down to the scientific reason and look at a few case studies to understand how it works.
3. The Benefits of Exercise on the Developing Brain
The brain continues to change as you age and develop. This lesson examines the interaction of exercise with the brain, and subsequent changes to cognition.
4. Promoting Positive Behavior With Fitness
In this lesson, we will read about ways to promote positive behavior with fitness. We will explore the related methodologies including health promotion, crime reduction, community involvement, and social media. We'll also look at important developmental aspects such as honesty and sportsmanship.
5. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
6. Fostering Cognitive Development in Physical Education Programs
This lesson discusses strategies for using physical education to promote critical thinking, goal-setting, decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills in students.
7. How to Integrate Knowledge & Skills From Multiple Subjects in Physical Education
In this lesson, we will learn some specific ways that teachers can integrate other content areas, specifically English language arts and mathematics, into physical education instruction.
8. Social & Emotional Factors Influencing Physical Education
In this lesson, we will define and discuss some of the social and emotional influences on student learning in the physical education setting and look at examples of how these influences can positively or negatively impact success.
9. The Influence of Personal Background on Physical Activity
What sports do you love to play? Have you ever considered that your personal background may actually influence why you play one sport versus another? This lesson will describe how background factors influence your choices for physical activity.
10. How Physical Activity Changes Throughout Life
The amount and type of physical activity that people engage in changes throughout life. In this lesson, we'll explore how physical activity changes throughout the different life stages, from infancy to late adulthood.
11. How Fitness Promotes Healthy Competition & Achievement
In this lesson we review ways fitness promotes both achievement and healthy competition. We also discuss some of the other positive benefits of fitness and elaborate on healthy alternatives to risky behaviors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Physical Education: Motor Development
- MEGA Physical Education: Human Movement
- MEGA Physical Education: Individual & Team Sports
- MEGA Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- MEGA Physical Education: Personal Wellness & Fitness
- MEGA Physical Education: Physical Activity
- MEGA Physical Education: Body Composition
- MEGA Physical Education: Fitness Goals
- MEGA Physical Education: Human Growth & Development
- MEGA Physical Education: Social & Behavioral Theories
- MEGA Physical Education: Classroom Management
- MEGA Physical Education: Diversity in the Classroom
- MEGA Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MEGA Physical Education: Assessment Techniques
- MEGA Physical Education Flashcards