About This Chapter
MEGA Physical Education: Diversity in the Classroom - Chapter Summary
To become a physical education teacher in Missouri, you must pass the required licensure test. This chapter is a tool you can use as you prepare for the exam. The second content domain on the MEGA Physical Education test deals with health-related physical fitness; diversity is one of the components of this domain. The topics related to this component that are covered in this chapter include:
- How to select level-appropriate recreational activities and sports
- How participation in fitness has sociocultural benefits
- Culture's influence on social perceptions and expectations
- Improvement of gender equality in schools
Check out these video lessons using either a computer, tablet or smartphone. Each video contains an interactive timeline, which allows you to easily maneuver through the content, viewing only the content you need to gain the knowledge necessary to be successful on the test.
1. Identifying Level-Appropriate Sports & Recreational Activities
In this lesson, we'll discuss some sports and recreational activities that are appropriate for different ages, different purposes, and also for varying developmental levels.
2. The Sociocultural Benefits of Participating in Fitness
Physical activity offers many benefits. This lesson will focus on the sociocultural benefits of participation in physical activities. We will end with a short quiz to gauge what you have learned.
3. Understanding Diversity Through Fitness
This lesson defines the terms respect and acceptance. It also discusses how teachers can use sports and games to help students understand diversity and how to appreciate others that are different from them.
4. The Impact of Socialization on Gender
The following lesson covers how boys and girls are taught how to be boys and girls and where and by whom they are taught this behavior. A short quiz will follow to check your understanding.
5. How Culture Influences Social Perceptions & Expectations
A large portion of our children's lives are spent consumed with media images. In some cases, the impressions that children develop about what is normal may be skewed by media sources. Let's look at the impact media has on our children.
6. Improving Gender Equality in Education
A person's gender can influence the way they experience the educational system. Watch this lesson to find out more about improving gender equality in education, including the impact that Title IX had on gender equality.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Physical Education: Motor Development
- MEGA Physical Education: Human Movement
- MEGA Physical Education: Individual & Team Sports
- MEGA Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- MEGA Physical Education: Personal Wellness & Fitness
- MEGA Physical Education: Physical Activity
- MEGA Physical Education: Body Composition
- MEGA Physical Education: Fitness Goals
- MEGA Physical Education: Human Growth & Development
- MEGA Physical Education: Social & Behavioral Theories
- MEGA Physical Education: Benefits for Schools & Students
- MEGA Physical Education: Classroom Management
- MEGA Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MEGA Physical Education: Assessment Techniques
- MEGA Physical Education Flashcards