About This Chapter
MEGA Physical Education: Human Growth & Development - Chapter Summary
Completing this chapter helps you examine physical, cognitive, social and emotional development in humans as you prepare for the MEGA Physical Education exam. The videos provide a unique way to learn about these topics:
- Theories of childhood development
- Brain and motor development for the first two years of life
- Social development in infants
- Early childhood physical development
- Development of self-esteem
- Adolescent physical and cognitive development
- Gender differences
- Social, physical and cognitive development in adults
- Factors that influence development and growth
In this chapter, you'll find video lessons designed to speed up the preparation process for the exam. You will review stages in development, as well as key terms like self-esteem and centration. Check your understanding along the way using the self-assessment quizzes, which are available both online and as a printable worksheet. All of these resources make learning and reviewing topics for the test fun and easy.
1. What Is Child Development? - Definition, Theories & Stages
Child development is the period of physical, cognitive, and social growth that begins at birth and continues through early adulthood. This lesson discusses the theories, stages, and major milestones of child development and ends with a quiz to test what you have learned.
2. What are Cognitive, Social, and Emotional Development?
People grow and develop in many different ways and in many different areas. In this lesson, we'll look closer at three types of human development: cognitive, social, and emotional development.
3. Motor, Sensory & Brain Development in the First Two Years of Life
Babies grow and change so much in the first two years of life, and many of those changes are directly tied to the brain and its key functions. In this lesson, we'll look at brain, motor and sensory development in infants.
4. Social Development of Infants: Stages of Self and Temperament
When do infants start gaining self-awareness? We will explore the stages infants go through as they increase their knowledge of themselves. We will also look into the typical temperaments of infants.
5. Physical Development in Early Childhood
Between the ages of two and seven, children grow and develop dramatically. Watch this lesson to look at some of the physical developments in early childhood, including balance, fine motor coordination and brain development.
6. Cognitive Development in Children: Conservation, Decentration & Centration
As children grow, so do their thinking skills, knowledge, and learning. Watch this lesson to learn about how young children develop cognitively, including the key cognitive concepts of centration, decentration, and conservation.
7. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
8. Changes in Cognitive Development During Adolescence
Adolescence is a period of great change. Changes in the way teenagers think can cause them to do things like argue with adults. Watch this lesson for more information on the cognitive changes that occur in adolescence.
9. Social Development of Children: Self-Esteem
The social development of children has a strong influence on self-esteem. In this lesson, we will explore the way children feel about themselves and look into several ways caretakers can improve a child's self-esteem.
10. Physical Development and Health in Early Adulthood
Despite the fact that most people are fully grown by early adulthood, it is still a time of physical development. In this lesson, we'll explore the physical and health issues that people in early adulthood experience.
11. Life Influences on Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
Though adults don't physically grow as they age, they do still grow mentally. In this lesson, we'll look closer at cognitive development in adulthood, including how it is influenced by college and work experiences.
12. Social Development of Adults: Self Concept
How would an adult think about his or her self-concept? In this lesson, we'll take a look at what makes up self-concept in adulthood, its changes over time, and how it relates to self-esteem and self-image.
13. Gender Differences in Adolescent Development
Adolescence is a time of growth and change. Some of these changes are different in boys and girls, though. In this lesson, we'll examine gender differences in emotional and brain development during adolescence.
14. Understanding the Impact of Gender Differences in Social Development
How does one's gender impact behavior and interactions with others? Research has shown that men and women interact differently in social settings and society has ideas for what is appropriate male and female behavior.
15. Factors Influencing Growth & Development
There are numerous factors that play various roles in our growth and development. This lesson looks at the main categories of factors and specific examples of their impact on growth and development.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Physical Education: Motor Development
- MEGA Physical Education: Human Movement
- MEGA Physical Education: Individual & Team Sports
- MEGA Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- MEGA Physical Education: Personal Wellness & Fitness
- MEGA Physical Education: Physical Activity
- MEGA Physical Education: Body Composition
- MEGA Physical Education: Fitness Goals
- MEGA Physical Education: Social & Behavioral Theories
- MEGA Physical Education: Benefits for Schools & Students
- MEGA Physical Education: Classroom Management
- MEGA Physical Education: Diversity in the Classroom
- MEGA Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MEGA Physical Education: Assessment Techniques
- MEGA Physical Education Flashcards