About This Chapter
MEGA Physical Education: Individual & Team Sports - Chapter Summary
The instructor in this chapter will discuss topics related to individual and team sports. When you're done with the lessons, you'll be well-prepared for any MEGA Physical Education test questions on the following topics:
- Development of rhythmic movement
- Creative movement and dance skills
- Gymnastics skills
- Expression through creative movement
- Lifelong sports skills
- Track and field techniques
- Swimming skills
- Development of sport and game skills
- Basketball techniques
- Soccer skills
- Softball techniques
- Group challenges and cooperative games
- Adventure and outdoor activities
Depending on your preferences and your learning style, a variety of resources are available to you. If you prefer learning visually, there are short and engaging video lessons that will present all of the topics to you. If you instead prefer reading, we also offer lesson transcripts. These options allow you to study in a way that is most beneficial to you.
1. Influences on the Development of Rhythmic Movement
If you are trying to incorporate more rhythmic movement activities into your PE instruction, you may be interested in what influences development of this movement in students. This lesson discusses some of the factors.
2. Developing Creative Movement & Dance Skills
In this lesson we discuss ways to develop creative movements and dance skills. We also elaborate on the nascent field of dance therapy and some systems used to improve these abilities. We also touch on safety practices to follow.
3. How to Develop Gymnastics Skills
In this lesson we examine different ways to develop both women's and men's gymnastic skills. We will also discuss the crucial role diet and nutrition play in attaining these said skills.
4. Creative Movement as a Form of Expression
People have expressed themselves through dance and creative movement for as long as humans have been around. In this lesson, we'll learn a little bit more about how dance helps people express themselves without words.
5. Developing Lifelong Sports Skills
You want to encourage students to develop sports skills that will last them a lifetime. What are the principles, techniques and organizational strategies that will help you do that? This lesson fills you in and gives you some ideas to promote lifelong sports skills.
6. Track & Field Skills & Techniques
This lesson will review many of the techniques used in the track and field world to improve athletic performance. The techniques include ways to enhance breathing, sleep, and mental toughness. The lesson also includes physical training methods.
7. Swimming Skills & Biomechanics
Whether you are new to swimming or have a lot of experience, there is always something else to learn about the sport. This lesson contains progressions for beginning through intermediate skill levels for both sports.
8. Developing Sport & Game Skills in an Elementary Program
In this lesson, we discuss ways to develop both game and sports skills in an elementary school program, including advice on equipment and safety practices.
9. Basketball Skills, Activities & Safety
Who hasn't been impressed by basketball greats like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird? In this lesson, we'll define the different offensive and defensive basketball skills and highlight activities to improve them, as well as review safety practices. We'll also delve into the mental side of the sport.
10. Basic Soccer Skills
Successful soccer players must master a number of basic skills, including dribbling, kicking, and trapping the ball. In this lesson, you'll learn how to effectively control and move a soccer ball around the field, as well as the techniques involved in defending the goal.
11. Basic Softball Skills
First time playing softball? Don't really know what you've gotten yourself into? No worries! This lesson describes the basic skills you will need to play the game.
12. Cooperative Games & Group Challenges
Learn how to set up cooperative games and activities in a way that sets you and your group up for success. This lesson covers rules, safety practices, equipment, and more.
13. Adventure Activities: Planning & Safety
In this lesson, you will review how to plan an adventure activity and prepare for safety. You will learn about the necessary equipment to take along on your adventure. We will also discuss the issues of permits and insurance, and you will learn about crucial first aid tips.
14. How to Expose Students to Outdoor Activities
Outdoor recreation and activities offer a unique learning environment for students to learn about themselves and to form stronger social ties with their classmates. This lesson goes over methods to introduce children to these activities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Physical Education: Motor Development
- MEGA Physical Education: Human Movement
- MEGA Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- MEGA Physical Education: Personal Wellness & Fitness
- MEGA Physical Education: Physical Activity
- MEGA Physical Education: Body Composition
- MEGA Physical Education: Fitness Goals
- MEGA Physical Education: Human Growth & Development
- MEGA Physical Education: Social & Behavioral Theories
- MEGA Physical Education: Benefits for Schools & Students
- MEGA Physical Education: Classroom Management
- MEGA Physical Education: Diversity in the Classroom
- MEGA Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MEGA Physical Education: Assessment Techniques
- MEGA Physical Education Flashcards