About This Chapter
MEGA Physical Education: Motor Development - Chapter Summary
The videos and accompanying assessments in this chapter will help increase your knowledge of the information assessed by the MEGA Physical Education exam. As you view the lessons, new information can be gained, and information you may have learned previously can be reinforced. The specific concepts covered in this chapter include:
- Different theories on motor development
- Factors that affect motor development
- Principles of motor development
- Promotion of motor learning
- Gross motor skills in children
- Fine motor skills in children
- Motor development throughout childhood
Content in this chapter was developed by individuals with credibility in this area and it is delivered in short appealing lessons. The lessons include various features that can help you assess your knowledge, such as quizzes and a chapter exam.
1. What Are Gross Motor Skills in Children? - Development, Definition & Examples
Gross motor skills allow children to control those body movements that require the use of large muscles in the legs, arms, and torso. Learn more about gross motor skills from examples and test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. What Are Fine Motor Skills in Children? - Development, Definition & Examples
Think of toddlers at a daycare, or the young actors in the movie 'The Kindergarten Cop.' What comes to mind? Is it small children doing arts and crafts or possibly running around with scissors? These are examples of fine motor skills, which children should develop around this age.
3. Motor Development in Infancy, Early Childhood & Adolescence
Motor development changes throughout the lifespan. This lesson discusses motor development in infancy, early childhood, and adolescence. Both gross and fine motor development are addressed.
4. Traditional & Contemporary Theories of Motor Development
This lesson discusses the process of motor development as it applies to youth and children. We'll looks at traditional theories such as Piaget's cognitive theory, and contemporary theory such as dynamic systems theory.
5. Perceptual Motor Development: Definition & Components
Perceptual motor development occurs in infants, toddlers, and young children as they learn to match their physical responses to stimuli they perceive from their surrounding environment. This lesson will dive more into these concepts.
6. Factors Influencing Motor Development
Understanding and supporting motor development in children plays an important role in teaching kids. This lesson will discuss gross and fine motor skills and the factors that influence their development.
7. How Principles of Motor Learning Affect Physicality
As a physical education teacher, you are probably interested in helping students acquire more physical skills, endurance, and agility. This lesson discusses how the principles of motor learning can impact physicality.
8. Promoting Motor Learning With Activities, Sports & Games
In this lesson, we review ways to promote motor learning. We discuss activities, sports, and games that improve motor learning, and we discuss certain patterns and behaviors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Physical Education: Human Movement
- MEGA Physical Education: Individual & Team Sports
- MEGA Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- MEGA Physical Education: Personal Wellness & Fitness
- MEGA Physical Education: Physical Activity
- MEGA Physical Education: Body Composition
- MEGA Physical Education: Fitness Goals
- MEGA Physical Education: Human Growth & Development
- MEGA Physical Education: Social & Behavioral Theories
- MEGA Physical Education: Benefits for Schools & Students
- MEGA Physical Education: Classroom Management
- MEGA Physical Education: Diversity in the Classroom
- MEGA Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MEGA Physical Education: Assessment Techniques
- MEGA Physical Education Flashcards