About This Chapter
MEGA Physical Education: Physical Activity - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons are designed to help you develop a deeper understanding of the types and health benefits of physical activity. You will enhance your knowledge of techniques, principles and term definitions. After mastering this material, you should be able to correctly answer these types of questions on the MEGA Physical Education exam:
- Identifying types of cardiorespiratory activities
- Applying techniques for cardiorespiratory self-assessment
- Explaining ways to build aerobic and strength and muscle endurance
- Describing activities for building strength and muscle
- Summarizing processes for developing flexibility
- Understanding methods for assessing flexibility
These lessons explain the material in simple and easy to follow terms. Self-assessment quizzes accompany each lesson and allow you to gauge what you've learned and measure your readiness for taking the MEGA Physical Education exam.
MEGA Physical Education: Physical Activity - Chapter Objectives
The Physical Activity chapter provides you with the opportunity to reinforce your current knowledge of or learn new facts about specific health-related activities and principles. The topics covered in the chapter are addressed in the health-related physical fitness portion of the MEGA Physical Education exam, which encompasses the entire second domain of the test. This domain reflects 30% of the exam, which is computer-based and consists of 100 multiple choice questions.
Pre-K-12 educators in the state of Missouri take MEGA exams to demonstrate their proficiency in specific content areas. The Physical Education exam is administered to teachers at the K-12 levels and requires a passing score of 220.
1. Cardiorespiratory Fitness Activities for Various Levels
Cardiorespiratory fitness is important at all ages and at all levels of development. This lesson will explore the many different types of fitness activities for various levels of fitness. We will end with a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
2. Assessing Cardiorespiratory Fitness: Techniques & Resources
In this lesson we review ways to assess cardiorespiratory fitness. We describe the resources and techniques utilized to perform these tests and monitor endurance levels. We also elaborate on self-assessment techniques as well.
3. Developing Aerobic Endurance
What is aerobic endurance, and how do you increase this metric that is beneficial for so many sports? This lesson describes its basic principles and outlines how to develop skills and ensure safety while practicing.
4. Developing Strength & Muscle Endurance
In this lesson we review ways to develop both strength and muscle endurance. We discuss principles and processes for achieving these skills and physiological goals along with crucial safety practices as well.
5. Activities for Building Strength & Muscular Endurance
Workout fads come and go. New ways to lose weight and gain strength are always being touted as the latest, greatest thing. Most are gimmicky and expensive. There are many things that you can do at home or with limited gym equipment to build strength and muscular endurance.
6. Assessing Strength & Muscular Endurance
In this lesson, we'll discuss assessing muscular endurance and strength, including assessment techniques and self-evaluations. We'll also discuss the safety of specific exercises and equipment.
7. Developing Flexibility: Principles & Skills
In this lesson, we will tackle two questions: Why do I need flexibility? How do I gain flexibility? Stretching and flexibility help us stay limber, remain injury free, improve performance, and generally achieve better health and wellness.
8. Flexibility in Fitness: Definition, Stretches & Exercises
Flexibility is important in fitness because it allows for better performance when playing sports or exercising, and during your day-to-day activities, it makes bending, walking, and lifting easier. In this lesson, you will learn how stretching and certain types of exercises can help improve flexibility.
9. Assessing Flexibility: Techniques, Resources & Self-Assessment
In this lesson, we assess flexibility and discuss resources and techniques for doing so. We also review methodologies for self-assessment. We elaborate on seven of the most popular tests that are available to measure flexibility.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Physical Education: Motor Development
- MEGA Physical Education: Human Movement
- MEGA Physical Education: Individual & Team Sports
- MEGA Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- MEGA Physical Education: Personal Wellness & Fitness
- MEGA Physical Education: Body Composition
- MEGA Physical Education: Fitness Goals
- MEGA Physical Education: Human Growth & Development
- MEGA Physical Education: Social & Behavioral Theories
- MEGA Physical Education: Benefits for Schools & Students
- MEGA Physical Education: Classroom Management
- MEGA Physical Education: Diversity in the Classroom
- MEGA Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MEGA Physical Education: Assessment Techniques
- MEGA Physical Education Flashcards