About This Chapter
Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter have been assembled to teach students about mental disorders, their effects and coping mechanisms. Watch this series of video lessons taught by expert instructors to learn about mood disorders, stress and stress related conditions and general adaptation syndrome. Along with learning about these mental disorders you will also learn about associated health risks including suicide. After finishing the video lessons you should have a better understanding about:
- Different types of mental disorders
- Biological, physiological and social-cultural models of mood disorders
- Causes and treatments for the different types of depression
- Sources, effects, and coping mechanisms for stress and chronic stress
- Physiological effects of general adaptation syndrome
- Causes, triggers and treatments for suicidal thoughts
If you become confused about any of the subject matter in this lesson our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. Taking lesson quizzes can also help you determine topics that you may want to review. Use video tags to go directly to where key topics were discussed in the video lessons as you conduct your review. It may also help to read over the lesson transcripts that cover all the material of the video lesson but in a written format.
1. What is a Mental Disorder? - Definition & Treatment
Not all painful wounds are visible on the outside. Just like cancer or other illnesses, mental disorders can affect a person's whole life. In this lesson we will discover how mental disorders are defined, diagnosed, caused and treated.
2. Defining and Understanding Mood Disorders
When someone has abnormal feelings that affect his or her life, he or she might be suffering from a mood disorder. In this lesson, we'll look closer at the types of mood disorders and the different theoretical views of them.
3. Depressive Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes & Treatment
What is depression? In this lesson, we'll look closer at depressive disorders, including the diagnostic criteria, causes, and treatments of major depressive disorder.
4. Stress: Definition and Impact on Overall Health
Stress, distress, eustress: just thinking about those terms may make you stress out! Don't worry, this lesson will define them and show plenty of examples of them in a manner that will calm your mind!
5. General Adaptation Syndrome: Definition, Phases & Changes
The general adaptation syndrome is a predictable series of phases related to stress. This lesson will explore some of the physiological and psychological changes associated with each phase.
6. Coping With Stress: Techniques, Attitudes & Reducing Exposure
Work, school, and life in general have plenty of things that cause us a lot of stress. If you'd like to learn some techniques that help to deal with these problems, watch or read this lesson.
7. What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes & Prevention
Why would a person take their own life? And what can be done to prevent it? In this lesson, we'll look at the reasons for, triggers of, and prevention of suicide.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education (073): Practice and Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Adult Growth & Development
- Pregnancy, Prenatal Care & Childbirth
- Introduction to Health & Wellness
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Environmental Health & Protection
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Resources for Health Information
- Health Care Systems
- Governmental Health Regulations
- Understanding Health Education Programs
- Education Strategies & Methods
- Assessments in Health Education Programs
- NYSTCE Health Education Flashcards