About This Chapter
Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter have been assembled to teach about mental disorders, their effects and coping mechanisms. Watch this series of lessons, taught by expert instructors, to examine mood disorders, depressive disorders, the impact of stress and techniques to cope with stress. Once this chapter is complete, you should be able to:
- Define general adaptation syndrome
- Discuss triggers, causes and prevention of suicide
- Explain the definition of a mental disorder and list treatment options
If you need help with any of the subject matter in this chapter, our instructors are available to answer your questions. Taking the lesson quizzes can help you determine topics that you may need to review further. Use the video tags to go directly to key topics as you conduct your review. It may also help to read over the lesson transcripts, which cover all the material of the video lesson but in a written format.
1. What is a Mental Disorder? - Definition & Treatment
A mental disorder is composed of physical and psychological symptoms that cause a person to think or act abnormally. Learn about different types of mental illness, what causes it, and the various treatments available.
2. Defining and Understanding Mood Disorders
The outdated term 'mood disorder' refers to one's experience of abnormal feelings. Discover why it is no longer used in the DSM, the presentation of unipolar and bipolar disorders, and different views with which to explain various symptoms.
3. Depressive Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes & Treatment
Depressive disorder refers to a loss or lack of interest in something a person normally enjoys and feeling sad outside an expected context. Examine different types of depressive disorders, diagnostic elements, symptoms, causes, and treatments.
4. Stress: Definition and Impact on Overall Health
Stress is a response that affects the physical and psychological state of the body. Learn about the definition and impact of stress on health, the different types of stress including eustress and distress, and take a closer look at the fight or flight response.
5. General Adaptation Syndrome: Definition, Phases & Changes
General adaptation syndrome is related to stress and how the body reacts to it. Learn about the definition of general adaptation syndrome, the alarm, resistance, and exhaustion phases, and the changes that the body experiences.
6. Coping With Stress: Techniques, Attitudes & Reducing Exposure
Different life situations and contexts, like work or school, have plenty of things that cause stress. Learn some attitudes and techniques to cope with academic and work-related stress, and explore ways to reduce the exposure to stress in general.
7. What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes & Prevention
Suicide is a common and often preventable tragedy where one takes their own life. See examples of reasons and triggers and methods of prevention through therapy, medication, substance use treatment, and family therapy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education (073): Practice and Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Adult Growth & Development
- Pregnancy, Prenatal Care & Childbirth
- Introduction to Health & Wellness
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Environmental Health & Protection
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Resources for Health Information
- Health Care Systems
- Governmental Health Regulations
- Understanding Health Education Programs
- Education Strategies & Methods
- Assessments in Health Education Programs
- NYSTCE Health Education Flashcards