About This Chapter
Mental & Emotional Health - Chapter Summary
Attachment styles and stages in an individual's emotional development are just some of the topics covered in this mental and emotional health chapter. You'll also review gender and cultural differences in the expression of emotion and revisit factors affecting emotional and mental well-being.
The second half of the chapter can develop your familiarity with symptoms of anxiety, mood, eating and trauma-related disorders as well as risk factors for suicide. Intervention and treatment techniques for these mental health conditions are covered as well, along with bereavement patterns and strategies for managing grief. Check out the list below to get an overview of lesson topics:
- Emotional development
- Mental health disorders
- Prevention strategies
- Crisis intervention
- Stress management
Lessons on these topics and more are available whenever you're ready to fit some study time into your busy schedule. The videos last between five and ten minutes each and allow you to pick up right where you left off. Transcripts are also included if you'd prefer to scan the material for key vocabulary terms, and the multiple-choice questions can be used to help track your progress.
1. What Is Psychosocial Health? - Definition, Components & Traits
Psychosocial health includes four important components of well-being. We'll go over what they are and what traits people with good psychosocial health share in this video lesson.
2. Categories of Mental Health Issues: Causes & Effects
Sometimes our mind fails us. We become obsessive, or terrified, or even delusional, without knowing why. In this lesson, we will explore things that can go wrong in our mind, including why they happen and how they affect us.
3. Risk Behavior and Strategies for Behavioral Change: Focus, Impact & Change
This lesson will discuss the short and long-term consequences of several different risk behaviors. We'll also go into some simple but effective strategies you can use to help avoid or stop these behaviors.
4. Self-Destructive Behavior: Signs, Causes & Effects
Self-destructive behavior is detrimental both to the sufferer and others who can be impacted by the behavior. This lesson discusses the the signs, symptoms, causes and effects of self-destructive behavior.
5. Stress & Adaptation: Effects, Defense Mechanisms & Coping Strategies
In this lesson, we explore the stress response and how people typically deal with stressful situations. We give a nod to situations older people have to deal with and what they are likely to do in response.
6. Social Development of Children: Self-Esteem
The social development of children has a strong influence on self-esteem. In this lesson, we will explore the way children feel about themselves and look into several ways caretakers can improve a child's self-esteem.
7. Self-Understanding & Self-Concept: How We Perceive Ourselves
Answering the question 'Who am I?' can lead to a solid self-concept and self-understanding. Watch this lesson to find out more about the difference in these two things, as well as the factors that go into each of them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health & Physical Education (615): Practice & Study Guide course
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Relationships & Communication
- Types & Stages of Human Development
- Human Body Organs & Systems
- Sexual Health
- Diet, Nutrition & Health Problems
- Drugs & Substance Abuse
- Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- Basics of Physical Education
- Overview of the Major Muscle Groups of the Human Body
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Exercise Physiology & Fitness for Physical Education
- Motor Skill Development
- Sports, Physical Activity & Fitness
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- Volleyball History & Rules
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Outdoor, Adventure & Cooperative Physical Education
- Dance Concepts & Forms
- Creating Fitness & Exercise Plans
- Health & Physical Education Classroom Management
- Motivation in the Physical Education Classroom
- Communication & Collaboration in Physical Education
- Physical Education Curriculum & Assessments
- Physical Education Planning & Instruction
- Equitable Physical Education for Diverse Students
- Professionalism for Health & Physical Education Teachers
- GACE Health & Physical Education Flashcards