About This Chapter
Mental Health Maintenance - Chapter Summary
Get all the information you need about mental health maintenance by learning from top instructors without spending time in a traditional classroom. Review fun video and text lessons in a secure online environment, and gain greater insight into theories, models and treatment options geared toward mental health and wellness. Complete this chapter at your own pace to ensure you're able to:
- Differentiate between wellness and pathology in theoretical models
- Define and discuss the stages of change in the Transtheoretical Model
- Share the basics of the behavioral model in abnormal psychology
- List common biological treatments for psychological abnormalities
- Provide the definition and six phases of cognitive behavioral therapy
- Explain the role of social networks and support in abnormal functioning
- Discuss the effectiveness of mental health treatment and cultural factors that can create issues in treatment
Lessons in this chapter are accessible 24/7 and can be viewed in any order that suits your current and desired knowledge of mental health maintenance. Take advantage of the self-assessment quiz with each lesson to gauge your comprehension of the concepts you've examined. Use the Ask Our Experts feature in the Dashboard to expand your mental health maintenance knowledge. Ensure you understand this entire chapter by taking the practice exam.
1. Wellness vs. Pathology in Theoretical Models
This lesson will discuss the differences in a wellness or pathological approach to mental health treatment. Can these approaches both be appropriate or are they always used separately?
2. Transtheoretical Model: Definition & Stages of Change
Did you know we go through different stages of change when breaking old habits and adopting new ones? Continue reading to learn more about these different stages and how it all relates to the transtheoretical model.
3. The Behavioral Model and Abnormal Functioning
What causes mental illness? Why do some people have psychological problems, while others don't? In this lesson, we'll look at one theory of abnormal psychology, the behavioral model.
4. Biological Treatments for Psychological Abnormalities
The biological model of psychology focuses on treating the underlying physical issues that might be causing psychological disorders. In this lesson, we'll go through some common biological treatments for mental illness.
5. Common Cognitive Treatments and Therapy
How do you treat someone who thinks or acts in a negative way? In this lesson, we'll look at what cognitive behavioral therapy is and the six phases in CBT.
6. The Role of Social Networks and Support in Abnormal Functioning
Everybody needs a friend sometimes. In this lesson, we'll look at the impact of social support on people who are suffering from mental illness. We'll also examine two major hypotheses as to why social support helps people with psychological issues.
7. Issues in Mental Health Treatment: Cultural Factors, Effectiveness & Empirical Validation
Although psychological treatment continues to improve, there are still some issues in this area. In this lesson, we'll look closer at cultural factors that affect treatment and the difficulty of proving treatment effectiveness via empirical validation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Psychology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- The Brain's Role in Mental Processes
- Brain Structure & Function
- Brain Plasticity & Damage
- Understanding The Nervous System
- Nervous System Functioning
- Technology & the Brain
- Psychological Development in Childhood
- Atypical Psychological Development
- Thoughts, Emotions & Behavior
- Sensation & Perception Overview
- Cognition & Intelligence
- Social Cognition Overview
- Social Influences on Behavior
- Understanding Stress
- Models of Learning
- Understanding Memory
- Consciousness & Sleep
- Mental Health Disorders Overview
- Phobias Overview
- Psychological Studies
- Communication Skills for Psychology
- VCE Psychology Flashcards