About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other earth science work.
- Identify the metamorphic rocks concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our earth science tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about metamorphic rocks and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the conditions that lead to metamorphism, texture and parent rock classifications, contact metamorphism, regional metamorphism or any other metamorphic rocks topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their metamorphic rocks unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in earth science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about metamorphic rocks simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live earth science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about metamorphic rocks on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Identify the factors that influence metamorphism.
- Understand how metamorphic rocks are classified.
- Learn the differences between contact metamorphism and regional metamorphism.
1. Metamorphism of Rocks: Definition, Process & Influencing Factors
Exposure to intense heat and pressure can result in the metamorphism of previously formed rocks. Learn about the factors that influence metamorphism and the metamorphic processes: recrystallization, neometamorphism and metasomatism in this lesson.
2. Classification of Metamorphic Rocks: Texture & Parent
Metamorphic rocks are classified by their texture, which is either foliated or non-foliated, and according to their parent rock. Learn about the different textures and parent rocks of metamorphic rocks.
3. Contact Metamorphism Vs. Regional Metamorphism: Definition & Differences
There are two types of metamorphism involved in the creation of metamorphic rocks. In this lesson, you'll learn the definitions of and differences between contact metamorphism and regional metamorphism.
4. Foliated Rock: Definition & Examples
Is a zebra a white horse with black stripes, or a black horse with white stripes? Either way, it's the stripes that make the zebra special. In the same way, foliated rock is special because of unique stripes, which you will learn about in this lesson.
5. What is Quartzite? - Properties, Uses & Facts
Learn about quartzite, a hard, light colored metamorphic rock that forms when quartz sandstones undergo metamorphism. It has many uses, including building materials and industrial chemical applications.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Earth Science: Tutoring Solution course
- Earth Science Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Geologic Time and Earth Science: Tutoring Solution
- Properties of Matter: Tutoring Solution
- Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure: Tutoring Solution
- Plate Tectonics: Tutoring Solution
- Minerals and Rocks: Tutoring Solution
- Igneous Rocks: Tutoring Solution
- Volcanoes: Tutoring Solution
- Weathering and Erosion: Tutoring Solution
- Sedimentary Rocks - A Deeper Look: Tutoring Solution
- Rock Deformation and Mountain Building: Tutoring Solution
- Water Balance: Tutoring Solution
- Running Water: Tutoring Solution
- Ground Water: Tutoring Solution
- Glaciers: Tutoring Solution
- Oceans: Tutoring Solution
- Coastal Hazards: Tutoring Solution
- The Atmosphere: Tutoring Solution
- Weather and Storms: Tutoring Solution
- Earthquakes: Tutoring Solution
- Earth History: Tutoring Solution
- Energy Resources: Tutoring Solution