About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering college physical geology material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding metamorphic rock classifications and processes.
- Need an efficient way to learn about metamorphic rocks in geology.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra science learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Metamorphic Rocks in Geology chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Metamorphic Rocks in Geology chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- How do metamorphic rocks processes occur?
- How do geologists classify metamorphic rocks?
- What is the definition of contact metamorphism?
- What is the definition of regional metamorphism?
1. Metamorphism of Rocks: Definition, Process & Influencing Factors
Exposure to intense heat and pressure can result in the metamorphism of previously formed rocks. Learn about the factors that influence metamorphism and the metamorphic processes: recrystallization, neometamorphism and metasomatism in this lesson.
2. Classification of Metamorphic Rocks: Texture & Parent
Metamorphic rocks are classified by their texture, which is either foliated or non-foliated, and according to their parent rock. Learn about the different textures and parent rocks of metamorphic rocks.
3. Contact Metamorphism Vs. Regional Metamorphism: Definition & Differences
There are two types of metamorphism involved in the creation of metamorphic rocks. In this lesson, you'll learn the definitions of and differences between contact metamorphism and regional metamorphism.
4. Unconformities in Geology: Definition & Types
We all know someone who just doesn't conform to our expectations. Believe it or not, rocks can do that, too. Learn about unconformable rocks in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Physical Geology: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Geology: Help and Review
- Earth Materials: Help and Review
- Mineral Types, Properties, and Uses: Help and Review
- Earth and Celestial Rocks: Help and Review
- Igneous Rocks in Geology: Help and Review
- Sedimentary Rocks in Geology: Help and Review
- Rock Deformation, Geological Folds & Faults: Help and Review
- Weathering, Soil & Erosion: Help and Review
- Running Water in Geology: Help and Review
- Ground Water in Geology: Help and Review
- Glaciers in Geology: Help and Review
- Oceans in Geology: Help and Review
- Deserts and Wind: Help and Review
- Water Balance in Geology: Help and Review
- The Universe: Help and Review
- Geologic Time & Radiometric Dating: Help and Review
- Earth's Spheres, Surface & Structure: Help and Review
- Atmospheric Sciences: Help and Review
- Earthquakes in Geology: Help and Review
- Plate Tectonics in Geology: Help and Review
- Energy Resources in Geology: Help and Review
- Renewable & Nonrenewable Resources: Help and Review
- Economic Geology & Mineral Resources: Help and Review
- Human Impact on the Earth & Environment: Help and Review
- Environmental Sustainability in Physical Geology: Help and Review
- Environmental Risk Analysis in Physical Geology: Help and Review
- Ethics, Politics & the Environment: Help and Review