About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering college physical geology material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding metamorphic rock classifications and processes.
- Need an efficient way to learn about metamorphic rocks in geology.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra science learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Metamorphic Rocks in Geology chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Metamorphic Rocks in Geology chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- How do metamorphic rocks processes occur?
- How do geologists classify metamorphic rocks?
- What is the definition of contact metamorphism?
- What is the definition of regional metamorphism?
1. Metamorphism of Rocks: Definition, Process & Influencing Factors
Rocks that have changed after being exposed to heat and/or pressure are known as metamorphic rocks. This lesson defines this process and explores it by looking at influencing factors, including recrystallization, neometamorphism, and metasomatism.
2. Classification of Metamorphic Rocks: Texture & Parent
The classification of metamorphic rocks is based on the parent rock, which is protolithic, and their texture. Learn about foliated vs. non-foliated rocks, regional and contact metamorphism, and the protoliths of foliated rocks.
3. Contact Metamorphism Vs. Regional Metamorphism: Definition & Differences
Contact metamorphism is where minerals and texture are changed as rock encounters lava, whereas regional metamorphism is where this process occurs over large areas. Understand the definitions and learn the differences and features involved in these metamorphic processes.
4. Unconformities in Geology: Definition & Types
In geology, an unconformity occurs when a continuous rock formation has a gap, creating a break in the rock's record of time. Further explore the definition of unconformity and the types of unconformities, including angular, disconformity, paraconformity, and nonconformity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Introduction to Physical Geology: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Geology: Help and Review
- Earth Materials: Help and Review
- Mineral Types, Properties, and Uses: Help and Review
- Earth and Celestial Rocks: Help and Review
- Igneous Rocks in Geology: Help and Review
- Sedimentary Rocks in Geology: Help and Review
- Rock Deformation, Geological Folds & Faults: Help and Review
- Weathering, Soil & Erosion: Help and Review
- Running Water in Geology: Help and Review
- Ground Water in Geology: Help and Review
- Glaciers in Geology: Help and Review
- Oceans in Geology: Help and Review
- Deserts and Wind: Help and Review
- Water Balance in Geology: Help and Review
- The Universe: Help and Review
- Geologic Time & Radiometric Dating: Help and Review
- Earth's Spheres, Surface & Structure: Help and Review
- Atmospheric Sciences: Help and Review
- Earthquakes in Geology: Help and Review
- Plate Tectonics in Geology: Help and Review
- Energy Resources in Geology: Help and Review
- Renewable & Nonrenewable Resources: Help and Review
- Economic Geology & Mineral Resources: Help and Review
- Human Impact on the Earth & Environment: Help and Review
- Environmental Sustainability in Physical Geology: Help and Review
- Environmental Risk Analysis in Physical Geology: Help and Review
- Ethics, Politics & the Environment: Help and Review