About This Chapter
Meteorology & Climate Basics - Chapter Summary
In order to understand the Earth's weather and weather patterns, it's essential that you understand the basics of meteorology and climate. If you would like to learn about these topics, you can watch the video lessons in this chapter for comprehensive overviews of the facts and effects of the Earth's climate.
Included in this videos are in-depth lessons on the basic definitions of relevant terminology and their applications to the real world. Our instructors go over the ways in which natural factors affect Earth's climate, different types of meteorological processes, and the how these processes work. Some of the topics you will learn about are:
- The definitions of weather and climate and the differences between them
- Natural factors affecting climate
- The water cycle
- Circulation in the atmosphere
- Different types of air masses and their effects
The video tags in each lesson will help you locate the main points of each topic as they come up in the videos. The chapter also offers you transcripts of each video, so you can have hard copies of the lessons to study on your own time. Once you are comfortable with your knowledge of these topics, answer the questions in the chapter's practice quizzes and final exam to ensure that you have accurately understood the subject.
1. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
2. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
3. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
4. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
5. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest II (214): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the CSET Multiple Subjects Test
- Intro to Properties of Matter
- Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Solutions & Mixtures in Chemistry
- Mechanics, Force & Motion
- Basics of Thermodynamics
- Intro to Waves, Sound & Light
- Energy Conservation & Earth's Resources
- Cell Structure, Organelles & Organelle Functions
- Structure & Function of Human Body Systems
- Plant Biology
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Plant & Animal Life Cycles
- Cell Growth & Division
- Principles of Evolution & Natural Selection
- Orbits & Rotations of Celestial Bodies
- Galaxies, Stars and Solar Systems
- Properties of Minerals & Rocks
- Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- Basics of Plate Tectonics
- Rock Deformation & Mountain Building
- Landforms, Volcanoes & Earthquakes
- The Earth's Water
- Planning & Conducting Scientific Investigations
- Basic Arithmetic Review
- Number Sense & Theory
- Performing Operations with Exponents
- Relations & Functions
- Ratios & Proportional Reasoning
- Graphing & Solving Inequalities
- Creating & Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Graphing Equations
- Operations with Polynomials
- Solving & Factoring Quadratic Equations
- 2D & 3D Geometric Figures
- Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence in Geometry
- Geometric Measurement
- Data & Surveys in Statistics
- Interpreting Data from Tables & Graphs
- Chance & Probability
- Problem Solving & Mathematical Reasoning
- CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest 2 Flashcards