About This Chapter
Methodologies for Biological Bases of Behavior - Chapter Summary
The tests and video lessons you can find in this chapter will teach you about essential topics related to the biological bases of behavior, as well as key scientific methodologies for studying this subject. The expertise and teaching skills of our instructors mean that you don't have to worry about misunderstanding the basic information relevant to these somewhat complete concepts.
These lessons will provide step-by-step instructions on the main techniques used for scientifically understanding the relationship between human behavior and biology. You will learn about different tests and methods that are employed when performing scientific research and medical diagnoses, as well as some relevant diseases affecting the brain and behavior. Specific topics you will learn about are:
- Techniques for studying behavior and the brain
- The definition and use of electromyography
- Electrophysiological methods in neurology
- Drug monitoring techniques in psychology
- Prenatal and postnatal genetic testing
- Huntington's disease
You can answer questions contained in the chapter's practice quizzes to see what you recall on that topic. The final chapter exam will help you test your understanding of the overall subject. Your personal Dashboard is a great way to keep track of your learning progress as you move through the chapter.
1. Techniques to Study the Brain and Behavior
Why do you behave the way you do? Human behavior begins in the brain. To study the brain, psychologists use a variety of tools, like EEG, PET and CAT scans, MRI, DTI, and studying pathology in individuals.
2. Electromyography: Definition & Use
Electromyography is a medical procedure that analyzes how the muscles receive information from the nerves. It can be used to gain information about healthy or damaged muscles. This lesson will describe the procedure and why it's used.
3. How Prenatal and Postnatal Genetic Testing Works
Have you ever wondered why pregnant women have so many doctor visits and need so many tests done? Learn more about how prenatal and postnatal genetic testing works and test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. What Is Huntington's Disease? - Symptoms, Genetic Cause & Treatment
In this lesson, you'll learn about a neurodegenerative disorder called Huntington's disease. You'll learn what a CAG repeat is, and how the number of these repeats can be used to predict whether or not a person will get Huntington's disease.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP): Study Guide & Practice course
- Neuroanatomy & Bases of Behavior
- Neurophysiology & Behavior
- Psychopharmacology Classification & Guidelines
- Behavioral Genetics Overview
- Elements of Cognition
- Principles of Learning
- Models of Motivation & Emotion
- Cognition & Health
- Psychosocial Factors in Health
- Social Perception & Cognition
- Social Interaction in Psychology
- Group Dynamics in Psychology
- Environmental & Evolutionary Psychological Perspectives
- Social-Contextual Issues & Human Behavior
- Race & Ethnicity in Psychology
- Psychology of Gender & Sexuality
- Disability & Rehabilitation
- Immigration & Cultural Issues
- Human Lifespan Development
- Human Development Risk Factors
- Assessment, Diagnosis & Psychometrics
- Psychological Assessment Models & Instruments
- Psychological Assessments
- Diagnostic Classification Systems
- Using Data in Psychology
- Technology & Assessments in Psychology
- Psychology Treatment, Prevention & Supervision
- Consultation Models in Psychology
- Psychology Career Counseling
- Healthcare Systems & Wellness
- Research Methods & Statistics
- Research & Evaluation in Psychology
- Psychology Ethical Codes & Standards
- Ethical, Legal & Professional Issues in Psychology
- EPPP Study Guide & Practice Flashcards