About This Chapter
Methods of Psychological Treatment - Chapter Summary
From individual and group therapies to psychiatric drugs, this chapter covers various psychological treatment options. The lessons explore details about each option, such as approaches, examples and effectiveness. You'll even study biological therapies, many of which are no longer used today. Once you have successfully reviewed this chapter, you should expect to have developed the following abilities:
- List approaches and define terms relating to individual therapy
- Discuss types of group therapy
- Describe types and classes of psychiatric drugs
- Summarize biological therapy techniques
- Understand the effectiveness of different types of psychological therapies
- Name different depressant drugs and how they work
Lessons are accessible 24/7 on any device, which makes studying easy and convenient. You can print the video transcripts to create simple reference tools. Use the self-assessment quizzes to determine how much you know and which topics, if any, you might need to continue reviewing. Monitor your progress through this chapter using your Dashboard.
1. Individual Therapy: Psychodynamic, Cognitive & Behavioral
What are the different approaches to individual therapy? In this lesson, we'll watch as Mary tries to find the type of individual therapy that works best for her. Will she be able to overcome her problems? Let's find out!
2. Group Therapy: Definition, Uses & Types
When an individual has personal problems they want to work on with the help of a professional therapist, they don't necessarily have to do it one-on-one. They could benefit from group therapy instead. When is group therapy a good option?
3. Overview of Psychiatric Drugs: History, Types & Uses
Have you ever been curious about how psychiatric drugs work, or more specifically, which psychiatric drugs are used for which disorders? This lesson outlines some common psychiatric disorders and how various medications are used to treat and subdue psychotic symptoms.
4. Biological Therapy for Psychological Problems: Definition & Examples
Do you think psychological problems can be fixed with electric shocks or brain surgery? Find out more about biological treatments for mental problems and the controversial role they played in treating patients.
5. Measuring Psychological Treatment Effectiveness
In this lesson we'll explore factors that contribute to treatment effectiveness in psychological treatment plans. We'll also analyze ways to assess effectiveness and the importance of doing so.
6. Depressants: Types, Examples & Facts
Explore the class of drugs known as depressants in this lesson. Learn more about the different kinds of depressants, how they are used in the medical field, and how they influence the central nervous system.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Psychology (5391): Practice & Study Guide course
- Theories on Human Growth & Development
- Genetic Influences on Psychological Development
- Prenatal Development and Birth
- Physical and Motor Development
- Development of Sense & Perception
- Overview of Cognitive Development
- Creativity, Intelligence & Language
- Social Development Through the Lifespan
- Aging, Death & Dying
- Atypical Development in Humans
- Social Psychology Fundamentals
- Elements of Social Psychology
- Psychological Health & Disorders
- Sleep & Other States of Consciousness
- Learning & Psychology
- Motivation & Emotion in Psychology
- Biology & Behavior in Psychology
- Senses & Perception
- Research Methodology and Statistics
- Personality Components & Assessment
- Praxis Psychology Flashcards