About This Chapter
Mexican-American War Lesson Plans & Resources - Chapter Summary
Our helpful lesson plan chapter covers the Mexican-American War and many related topics, including the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, the Alamo and the independence of Texas. Key terms, activities and timelines are included with these lesson plans. All of our learning materials are developed by expert instructors, so you can be confident that your curriculum meets appropriate educational standards.
How It Helps
- Targets a variety of ages: Whether you teach elementary students or high school classes, you'll find lesson plans suitable for a variety of ages conveniently located in one chapter.
- Makes planning easy: Access these lessons and resources at any time on your mobile phone, tablet or computer for easy lesson planning whenever it is most convenient for you.
- Encourages learning engagement: Use these resources to create games, discussion questions and other activities that will encourage your students to put their learning into action.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning Mexican-American War lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific Mexican-American War topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your history class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related Mexican-American War lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important Mexican-American War concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant Mexican-American War-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. The Mexican-American War, Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo & the Wilmot Proviso
The controversial Mexican-American War lasted from 1846-1848. In this lesson, discover how the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo expanded the southern part of the United States all the way to the Pacific Ocean.
2. The Alamo Lesson Plan
Are you readying to teach your students about the Alamo? This lesson plan provides an informational text for students to read and learn about the military use, famous battle, and importance of the history of the Alamo. Make concepts stick with an engaging activity.
3. The Alamo: History & Facts
Missions have been built for centuries all over the world, but few have a history as meaningful as one in south Texas. This lesson will teach you about the Alamo.
4. Texas Independence Lesson Plan
Texas fought hard to gain its independence from Mexico. This activity enhances students comprehension about Texas independence by offering a reading assignment, engaging discussion questions, a virtual field trip activity and a printable quiz and online flashcards to demonstrate their learning.
5. Texas Independence: History, Timeline & Summary
Texas Independence occurred in 1836 when Texan forces defeated Mexican General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna. The conflict between Texas and Mexico lasted from late 1835 to May 1836.
6. Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses an activity, mini-activity, quizzes, text, video, and key terms that will help students understand the cause of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and the treaty itself.
7. Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo: Terms & Summary
The Treaty of Guadalupe- Hidalgo was the document that ended the Mexican-American War. Learn about the terms included in the treaty as well as its impact on the sectional crisis in the United States.
8. The Alamo Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Use this lesson plan to teach students about the Alamo. Students will read a text lesson that explains key ideas about the battle, discuss and interact with content, then apply to an activity to help increase understanding.
9. The Alamo Project Ideas
Many students have heard of the Alamo, but not everyone understands its actual significance. These project ideas can help students to explore the history and importance of this site.
10. Battle of the Alamo Activities for Kids
The Battle of the Alamo exhibited a heroic event and important contributing factor to Texas' independence. Students will enjoy participating in these fun and engaging activities as they learn more about the battle.
11. Mexican-American War Lesson Plan
Using this lesson plan on the Mexican-American War, your students will not only learn about the events of the war and its conduct, but also how victory in the war started new questions about slavery.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the US History 1786-1860: Lesson Plans & Resources course