About This Chapter
Mexico's Government - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Mexico's government has undergone tremendous change during the country's history, and is still evolving. In this chapter, we'll get an overview of Mexico's system of government, its history and current issues as Mexico moves toward heightened democracy. These lessons will give you an understanding of Mexico's government, with topics including:
- How the government is structured
- Everyday life when the Institutional Revolutionary Party was in power
- Functions of the Mexican government
- How the government and the economy are related
- Why Mexico is moving towards democracy
|The Structure of Mexico's Government||Review of the structure of the Mexican government.|
|Life During the Institutional Revolutionary Party's Rule of Mexico||Learn how the Institutional Revolutionary Party came to power, what it did and how it lost power.|
|Mexico's Political Institutions||Address how the government operates in Mexico.|
|Impact of Mexico's Government Structure on the Economy||Identify the relationship between government and the Mexican economy.|
|The Life & Accomplishments of Vicente Fox||Examine the career of Mexico's 55th president.|
|Mexico's Move Toward Democracy||Study the current push towards a more robust democracy in Mexico.|
1. The Structure of Mexico's Government
How does Mexico function as a nation? Explore the structure of Mexico's government and discover the branches and powers that keep the nation running. Then test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Life During the Institutional Revolutionary Party's Rule of Mexico
This lesson explores the Institutional Revolutionary Party's 20th century domination over Mexican life. It highlights the party's membership, corruption, and eventual collapse.
3. Mexico's Political Institutions
Mexico is a large and complex nation that needs a government up to the task. Explore the political institutions of the Mexican government, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Impact of Mexico's Government Structure on the Economy
Mexico's economy has long been shaped by the governments that have overseen it. In this lesson, we look at the impact of government on the Mexican economy, from the colonial period to the modern day.
5. The Life & Accomplishments of Vicente Fox
Politics in any country can get messy. But in Mexico, this took on a special meaning. Explore Mexico's political situation at the end of the 20th century and discover the role of Vicente Fox in changing it.
6. Mexico's Move Toward Democracy
As a nation, Mexico has striven for an effective democratic process since it was formed, but the reality is not always so simple. Explore the quest for democracy across Mexican history and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Comparative Government and Politics: Exam Prep course
- Purpose of Government & Methods of Comparison & Classification
- Political Culture, Communication & Socialization
- Sovereignty, Authority & Power of Government
- Types of Government
- Belief Systems as a Source of Legitimacy
- Political Institutions
- Parliamentary and Presidential Systems
- Types of Legislatures
- Elections & Electoral Systems
- Political Parties
- Interest Groups in American Politics
- Military & Other Coercive Institutions
- Judiciary Branches of Government
- Citizens, Society & the State
- Forces of Political & Economic Change
- Democratic State Systems & Structures
- U.S. Public, Social & Environmental Policies
- Economic, Fiscal & Trade Policy in the U.S.
- U.S. Foreign & Defense Policy
- The Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland
- The United States of America's Government
- Comparing the Governments of the US & Great Britain
- Germany's Government
- Russia's Government
- China's Government
- Nigeria's Government
- Iran's Government
- AP Comparative Government & Politics Flashcards