About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your microbiology and microbes homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your microbiology and microbes homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Germ theory of disease
- The basics of antibiotics and vaccines
- Eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells
1. The Germ Theory of Disease: Definition & Louis Pasteur
In this lesson, we will look at one of the most influential experiments in the field of microbiology. We will learn how Louis Pasteur disproved the theory of spontaneous generation which helped lead to the development of the germ theory of disease.
2. Antibiotics and Vaccines
Do you know why children must get regularly vaccinated? Have you ever wondered how an antibiotic works and why they are so widely prescribed? If so, this lesson will help you to understand how changes in medicine have almost eliminated several deadly diseases and added decades to the average person's lifespan.
3. Archaea: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
There is an entire domain of life that is made up of single-celled organisms without nuclei. We're not referring to the Bacteria domain, however. In this lesson, we will examine the main characteristics of the least commonly known domain, the Archaea.
4. What is Bacteria? - Definition, Characteristics & Examples
This lesson will introduce the Bacteria, a large and diverse group of microorganisms. We will examine several key characteristics, as well as a few commonly known examples of bacterial species.
5. Cyanobacteria: Definition, Characteristics & Species
Cyanobacteria are a phylum of Bacteria that produce oxygen during photosynthesis. This lesson will examine cyanobacteria and the role they played in establishing our oxygen-rich atmosphere.
6. What are Protozoa? - Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Taxonomy is the realm of science that attempts to group similar organisms together, which is not always an easy task. In this lesson, we will examine the protozoa, a diverse group of organisms that didn't really fit anywhere else.
7. What is Algae? - Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Plants are not the only organisms capable of carrying out photosynthesis. In this lesson we will look at algae and how an algal species can be differentiated from other organisms and microbes.
8. What are Fungi? - Types and Characteristics
In this lesson, we will examine the group of organisms known as the fungi. This group includes the familiar organisms mushrooms, yeasts and molds. We will look at several major characteristics of fungi, as well as a few disease-causing fungi.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Life Science: Homework Help Resource course
- Introduction to Life Science: Homework Help
- Characteristics & Chemicals of Life: Homework Help
- The Parts of Cells: Homework Help
- DNA Replication & Mutation: Homework Help
- Cell Division & the Cell Cycle: Homework Help
- How Living Organisms Get Energy: Homework Help
- Classification of Organisms: Homework Help
- The Origin & History of Life On Earth: Homework Help
- Genetics & Hereditary Traits: Homework Help
- Genetic Engineering Basics: Homework Help
- Natural Selection & Evolution in Life Science: Homework Help
- Introduction to Ecosystems: Homework Help
- Types of Ecosystems: Homework Help
- Changing Ecosystems: Homework Help
- Invertebrates: Homework Help
- Animal Behavior & Communication: Homework Help
- Mammal Reproduction & Development: Homework Help
- The Cardiovascular System: Homework Help
- The Blood Vessels: Homework Help
- The Digestive System: Homework Help
- The Urinary & Endocrine Systems: Homework Help
- The Muscular System: Homework Help
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue: Homework Help
- Sight, Hearing & Other Senses: Homework Help
- Health Issues & Concerns: Homework Help
- Plant Biology & Structure: Homework Help
- How Plants Grow & Reproduce: Homework Help
- Environmental Concerns: Homework Help
- Natural Resources: Homework Help