About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Microorganisms & the Environment chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||The nitrogen cycle and nitrogen fixation||Eutrophication of bodies of water, acid rain and fossil fuel; types of nitrogen fixing bacteria, rhizobium, cyanobacteria|
|Tuesday||Bacteria in anaerobic environments||Types of bacteria found in anaerobic environments, including methanogens and acetogens|
|Wednesday||Bacteria in deepwater vent ecosystems||Bacteria that live in these types of systems and their energy sources|
|Thursday||Thermophiles||Thermus aquaticus, how this organism was used to isolate Taq|
|Friday||Microbial Contamination||Bacterial and protozoan contamination of drinking water, fecal contamination, coliforms and giardia|
1. Nitrogen Fixation: Significance to Plants and Humans
Almost 80% of our atmosphere is nitrogen, but we can't use it. We will look at how this unusable nitrogen is converted into a form we can use and why nitrogen is important to plants and humans.
2. The Nitrogen Cycle, Acid Rain and Fossil Fuels
Do you know the difference between nitrite and nitrate? Do you have any clue how all the nitrogen in the atmosphere becomes usable? If you can't answer these questions, then you need to watch this lesson on the nitrogen cycle.
3. Types of Bacteria Found in Anaerobic Environments
This lesson will focus in on the world of anaerobes. We'll discuss the different types of anaerobes that abound on this planet, including obligate, facultative and aerotolerant anaerobes.
4. Bacteria that Live in Deepwater Vent Ecosystems
In this lesson, we will talk about hydrothermal vents, what they are, and what they release. We'll also look into why the substances they release are important for bacteria and higher life forms such as crabs and tubeworms.
5. Thermus Aquaticus and Other Thermophiles: Definition & Examples
This lesson will go into some very interesting creatures known as thermophiles. We will discuss exotic sounding names such as Strain 121 and Thermus aquaticus and how they revolutionized our thought process and technology.
6. Microbial Contamination in Drinking Water: Sources & Control
This lesson will discuss what microbes may contaminate drinking water, what problems they may cause you, how we can test for them, and how we can control them. Find out as we look into coliform bacteria, giardia, and noroviruses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Microbiology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Biology Review: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Microbiology Basics Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Cell Biology Lesson Plans
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques Lesson Plans
- The Disease Process Lesson Plans
- Protozoan Diseases Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- DNA Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- RNA Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Fungal Infections: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Foodborne Illnesses & Bacterial Infections - Gastrointestinal Tract Lesson Plans
- Sexually Transmitted Bacterial Diseases: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Blood-borne Bacterial Diseases: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Diseases of the Respiratory Tract: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Immunology And the Body's Defenses Against Pathogens: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Antimicrobial Drugs: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Food and Industrial Microbiology: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Techniques: Microbiology Lesson Plans