About This Chapter
Migraines - Chapter Summary
This chapter looks at the ins and outs of migraines, going over their causes, signs, and treatment. You'll also study a specific type of migraine and what distinguishes it. Using the practice quizzes accompanying each lesson, you'll be able to make sure you understand each topic before moving on. By the end of the chapter, you'll have bolstered your knowledge of:
- How to spot a migraine
- Treating and preventing migraines
- Understanding the sources of migraines
- What the term 'migraine aura' means
- Differentiating ocular migraines from standard migraines in both symptoms and treatment
- Knowing what causes ocular migraines
1. What is a Migraine? - Symptoms
Have you had a headache before? If it was a bad headache that seemed to come back over and over again, it may actually have been a migraine. A migraine is not a disease but it can be serious. This lesson defines a migraine and tells you about some of its symptoms and triggers.
2. Migraine: Treatment & Prevention
In this lesson, you will learn about migraines and the tremendous impact of this disease. We will discuss the prevalence, as well as the treatment and prevention, of migraines.
3. What Causes Migraines?
Migraines are a giant pain in the head. Do you know what causes migraines? This lesson tells you what scientists think goes on and what may be happening in your daily life that causes them.
4. What is a Migraine Aura?
Have you ever heard of a migraine aura? It's commonly seen as a visual disturbance associated with a migraine headache but it is so much more. This lesson clearly defines what this is and what to expect and when.
5. Ocular Migraine: Symptoms & Treatment
An ocular migraine causes changes in vision in the form of light flashes, moving blind spots, or even floating squiggles over the field of vision. We'll learn about other symptoms and the treatment options for ocular migraines in this lesson.
6. Causes of Ocular Migraines
Ocular migraines can be confusing as this term is often used for two different conditions. This lesson will review what ocular migraines are. We will also review what causes this type of migraine.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the First Aid & CPR Training for Health Professionals course
- Responding to Emergencies
- Rescue Techniques & Methods
- Air Embolisms & Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Recognizing & Treating Angina
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Heart Disease & Heart Failure
- Understanding Strokes
- Preventing & Treating Strokes
- Ischemic, Hemorrhagic & Mini Strokes
- Massive, Mild & Silent Strokes
- Dealing with Heat Stroke
- Blood Clot Types & Complications
- Blood Clot Sites
- Acidosis, Alkalosis & Polycythemia
- Hypercapnia, Hypercarbia, & Hypoxia
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Pneumonia & Pneumothorax
- Conditions of the Lungs
- Bell's Palsy
- Conditions of the Brain
- Understanding & Treating Brain Aneurysms
- Understanding & Treating Heartburn
- Diagnosing & Treating Coughs
- Dealing with Allergies & Pests