About This Chapter
Mitosis & Meiosis Lesson Plans & Activities - Chapter Summary
In this lesson plan chapter, our instructors present a variety of tools you can use to use to teach your students about mitosis and meiosis. In addition to lesson plans, this chapter also offers games and activities to help you teach the following topics:
- The cell cycle
- Mitosis and meiosis
- Cell division
- Binary fission
Feel free to access these tools to plan your curriculum at any time on your computer, tablet or mobile phone. If you need assistance as you work through these resources, contact one of our instructors for help.
How It Helps
- Promotes information retention: These teacher resources can encourage the application and retention of these subjects through fun activities and games that put learning into action.
- Meets educational standards: When you use these lesson plans to develop your instruction, you can feel confident that what you're teaching meets all appropriate educational standards.
- Makes planning easy: Easily schedule and plan out your science classes with the plans and games provided here, freeing you up to spend your time on other teaching responsibilities.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning mitosis and meiosis lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific mitosis and meiosis topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your science class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related mitosis and meiosis lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important mitosis and meiosis concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant mitosis and meiosis-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Cell Cycle Lesson Plan
Teach your students about the life of a cell using this engaging video-based lesson plan. Define terms and view samples, then apply learning with an activity.
2. The Cell Cycle: Definition, Phases & Sequence
Learn about the dividing and non-dividing states of the cell and discover the different phases of the cell cycle, including interphase, cytokinesis, and the stages of cell division.
3. Cell Growth & The Process of Cell Division Activities for High School
Do you need some fun, interactive activities to help teach students about cells? This series of actives focuses on why cells divide, mitosis and meiosis and can help to keep students engaged during a difficult topic.
4. Cell Cycle Games & Activities
The steps of the cell cycle are complicated and require time and practice to understand. Keep your students active and focused by teaching them through games and activities. Here are just a few of the possibilities.
5. What is Mitosis? - Definition, Stages & Function
Every day your body cells are dividing using a process called mitosis. This allows you to grow and replace damaged or worn out cells. Learn about the stages of mitosis: prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase.
6. Mitosis Games & Activities
Mitosis has many phases, with complex names that can be difficult for students to understand and learn. We can help them out by involving them in activities, and playing games. Check out these ideas.
7. Mitosis Activities for Middle School
Cell division is essential subject matter in your middle school, life-science classroom. However, odds are good that your students are not excited to learn it. These entertaining activities help make mitosis fun to learn and easier to understand.
8. Mitosis 3D Project Ideas
Mitosis is a standard part of a biology education, so let's make it a little more interactive with 3-dimensional models. These hands-on projects can help students feel more engaged in learning about mitosis.
9. What is Meiosis? - Steps & Results
It's meiosis that gives us the male and female reproductive cells known as the egg and sperm. In meiosis, two cell divisions take place, which produces four genetically unique cells with half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell.
10. Meiosis Activities
Meiosis, or a process in which cells divide, is a common topic in biology class. This lesson contains activities that you can do with your students to help them understand more about meiosis.
11. Meiosis Project Ideas
As you teach your students about meiosis, it's important to consider engaging projects that'll help your students understand and analyze this cellular process. Use the following project ideas to help your students learn about meiosis.
12. Cell Division Activities
Teaching cell diagram through mitosis and meiosis may not be your students', or even your own, favorite topic. However, if you make it hands-on in your classroom, all your students will be engaged and learn about cell division.
13. Binary Fission Activities
If your class is studying different types of reproduction, understanding the process of asexual reproduction and binary fission is important. Use these activities to help students learn about binary fission.
14. Meiosis Lesson Plan
In this lesson, students will explore meiosis. They will begin by comparing and contrasting it with mitosis (a commonly confused process) and move into modeling meiosis in a hands-on activity.
15. Mitosis Lesson Plan
Use Study.com's video lesson on mitosis to initiate a hands-on activity demonstrating the phases involved in cell division. By the end of the lesson, students should be able to explain why cells divide and list what occurs during each phase of mitosis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Life Science Lesson Plans & Games course