About This Chapter
Mixed Numbers & Fractions - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will explore the different ways to work with proper and improper fractions. You will also examine mixed numbers and how mixed numbers and fractions can be changed into one another.
You will be provided with examples of how to work with fractions and mixed numbers to help you retain the information. After this chapter you will have learned:
- How to divide fractions and mixed numbers
- Ways to multiply fractions and mixed numbers
- The definition of an improper fraction
- How to convert mixed numbers into fractions
- Methods for building and reducing fractions
To help you most easily absorb the information, each lesson contains a video created by educational professionals that illustrates the material being explored. There is also a timeline below each video that you can use to return to a particular portion of the lesson should you need to review it. To keep you engaged in the learning process, there is a self-assessment quiz at the end of each lesson to test your knowledge on the topic.
1. What is an Improper Fraction? - Definition & Example
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of an improper fraction, as well as proper fractions and mixed fractions. You will be given examples of improper fractions to properly illustrate what they are.
2. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
3. How to Change Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions
When it comes to fractions in algebra, we hardly ever use mixed numbers. Instead, we opt for the ease of use of improper fractions. Watch this video lesson to learn how to change your mixed numbers to improper fractions.
4. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
5. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
6. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Elementary Education (018/019): Practice & Study Guide course
- Language Development & Emergent Literacy
- Teaching Phonics, Word Analysis, Spelling & Fluency
- Reading Comprehension & Vocabulary Skills
- Understanding Literary Texts
- Structure & Literary Devices in Prose
- Informational, Expository & Technical Texts
- Understanding & Teaching Persuasive Texts
- Graphic Communication
- Processes & Modes of Written Communication
- Reference Materials & Proofreading in Writing
- Conventions of Standard American English
- Processes & Conventions of Verbal Communication
- Effective Writing & Speaking
- Basic Concepts of Government & Economics
- Forms & Characteristics of Government
- International Relationships & Foreign Policy
- Principles of U.S. Citizenship
- Functions of Economic Systems & Free Markets
- Characteristics of Ancient Civilizations
- Global Effects of Exploration, Trade & Revolution
- Major U.S. & World Conflicts
- Modern World History
- Historical Analysis of Fact vs. Opinion
- Geography, Physical Sciences & Cultural Anthropology
- Reading & Understanding Maps
- Social Science Research & Experimentation
- Scientific Method, Inquiry & Data Analysis
- Life & Zoological Sciences
- Plants, Biomes & Genetics
- Physical, Earth & Space Sciences
- Components of the Solar System & Universe
- Weather, Climate & Geologic Systems
- Numeration, Number Sense, & Mathematical Operations
- Arithmetic & Estimation Using Decimals
- Rounding & Estimating Numbers
- Place Values, Ordering Fractions & Decimals
- Prime Numbers, Composite Numbers & Divisibility Rules
- The Least Common Multiple & Greatest Common Factor
- Ratios, Proportion, Exponents & Scientific Notation
- Mathematical Reasoning for Solving Word Problems
- Tools for Representing Mathematical Concepts
- Calculating & Interpreting Statistical Data
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Properties of Geometric Shapes
- Converting & Graphing Units of Measurement
- Area, Perimeter & Volume of Geometric Shapes
- Health, Fitness & Nutrition
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Elementary Education Flashcards