About This Chapter
Modern Physics Overview - Chapter Summary
This short chapter contains lessons covering such topics as nuclear physics, atomic theory and metallic bonding. Lessons provide detailed information conveyed through easy-to-follow text, illustrations and key term definitions. You will learn how these physics topics apply in the real world. Once you have completed your study of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain why metals bond and discuss their characteristics
- Define thermionic emission
- Provide details about J.J. Thomson's cathode ray tube experiments
- Describe fusion, fission and binding energy in nuclear physics
- Detail the atomic theory developed by Henri Becquerel
- Identify the three main types of radioactive decay, their applications and effect on the nucleus
- Understand how to balance nuclear equations and the effects of different types of radiation on a decaying atom
- Discuss the challenges, health concerns and safety of radioactive waste storage
Each lesson takes only about 5-10 minutes to review and can be accessed at any time, on any device. You can also choose to print lesson transcripts to create handy reference tools. Take self-assessment quizzes as many times as needed to demonstrate full mastery of this information.
1. Metallic Bonding: The Electron-Sea Model & Why Metals Are Good Electrical Conductors
Learn why metallic bonding is called the electron sea model. Discover why metals bond the way they do and why they are shiny, malleable and conduct electricity well.
2. J.J. Thomson's Cathode Ray Tube (CRT): Definition, Experiment & Diagram
J.J. Thomson's cathode ray tube experiments led to a very important scientific discovery, the electron. In this lesson learn what a cathode ray tube is and how J.J. Thomson made his discovery.
3. Nuclear Physics: Nuclear Force & Building Energy
After watching this video, you should be able to explain what nuclear physics is, including the concept of binding energy. You should also be able to explain how fusion and fission work. A short quiz will follow.
4. Henri Becquerel Atomic Theory
Henri Becquerel made an important contribution to our understanding of atomic theory when he discovered the existence of radioactivity. In this lesson, learn about him and his amazing discovery.
5. Types of Radioactive Decay and Their Effect on the Nucleus
What is meant by the term 'radioactive'? In this lesson we will break down the three main types of nuclear decay particles and discuss their composition, their effect on the nucleus, and their applications.
6. Balancing Nuclear Equations & Predicting the Product of a Nuclear Reaction
When a radioactive particle gives off radiation, what happens to the particle? This lesson will explain the three major types of radiation and what effect they have on the decaying atom.
7. Risks of Nuclear Power Plants and Radioactive Waste: Safety and Health Concerns
Nuclear power can generate electricity without greenhouse gas emissions. However, there are concerns about its safety. Learn about the safety and health concerns associated with the threat of nuclear meltdowns, as well as the challenges involved in storing radioactive waste.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Physics: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Measurement in Physics
- Presentation of Scientific Data
- Motion in One Dimension
- Laws of Motion & Gravitation
- Properties of Fluids in Physics
- Heat & Temperature in Physics
- Reflection of Light
- Nature of Sound Waves
- Understanding Electricity & Magnetism
- Force, Work, Energy & Power
- Properties of Light
- ICSE Physics Flashcards