About This Chapter
Modern Physics Principles & Theories - Chapter Summary
If you would like to learn more information about modern physics principles and theories. These lessons help you refresh your understanding of the history of photoelectric effect, application of the photoelectric effect, history of the atom, examples of radioactive substances, and different types of nuclear reactions. The objectives covered by our experienced instructors include:
- Review information about the photoelectric effect
- Recall the importance of the de Brogile hypothesis
- Identify the development of the atom
- Explore the production of light
- Distinguish the difference between the two types of atomic spectra
- Explain the differences between nuclear and chemical reactions
Our lessons in this chapter are taught by educated and professional instructors. They know what it takes to pass your exam. As you watch the video lessons and read the lesson transcripts, our instructors are here for you whenever you need it. We make it easy to reach out to them, and they will answer any questions you might have.
1. The Photoelectric Effect: Definition, History, Application & Equation
In this lesson, you will learn what the photoelectric effect is, how it was discovered, how it applies to everyday life, and the equation associated with it. A short quiz will follow.
2. The de Broglie Hypothesis: Definition & Significance
The de Broglie hypothesis states that particles of matter can behave as both waves and particles, just like light. In this lesson, we'll learn the basics of the de Broglie hypothesis and how it related to other theories released at the same time.
3. Rutherford Model of the Atom: Definition & Diagram
Though it is no longer the most accurate representation of an atom, at the time Rutherford's model was revolutionary. Learn about the development of the model of the atom and how it changed throughout history, then assess your knowledge with a quiz.
4. The Bohr Model and Atomic Spectra
Do you ever wonder where light comes from or how it is produced? In this lesson, we are going to use our knowledge of the electron configurations and quantum numbers to see what goes on during the creation of light.
5. Atomic Spectrum: Definition, Absorption & Emission
In this lesson, we'll discuss the meaning of the term 'atomic spectrum' and distinguish between the two main types of atomic spectra: absorption and emission spectra. We'll also describe how each forms.
6. What Are Radioactive Substances? - Examples & Uses
This lesson will explain what a radioactive substance is, give examples of radioactive substances and describe how radioactivity is used in everyday life.
7. Nuclear Reaction: Definition & Examples
Learn the differences between a nuclear reaction and a chemical reaction. Also learn how the nuclear reaction involves subatomic particles including protons and neutrons. Discover the different types of nuclear reactions including fission and fusion and also how a nuclear power plant works to produce energy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Physics: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Tools & Methods of Scientific Measurement
- Kinematics & Vectors
- Newtonian Laws of Motion
- Impulse & Momentum
- Work & Energy Theorems in Physics
- Rotation & Angular Momentum
- Gravitational Laws
- Solid & Fluid Mechanics
- Oscillators & Simple Harmonic Motion
- Wave Types & the Doppler Effect
- Heat & Thermodynamics
- Electrostatics & Charge
- Simple Electric Circuits
- Electronic Devices & Components
- Current & Magnetism
- Electromagnetic Induction
- Optics Overview
- BITSAT Exam - Physics Flashcards