About This Chapter
MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Coordinate Geometry - Chapter Summary
This in-depth look at coordinate geometry can ensure you're prepared for related questions on the MoGEA Mathematics subtest. Use the lessons to get reacquainted with formulas, calculations, theorems and more so you're able to:
- Describe the Cartesian coordinate system and the coordinate system in geometry
- Solve word problems with plotted data on a coordinate plane, and identify properties and postulates of geometric figures
- Use the midpoint and distance formulas, and find distance with the Pythagorean theorem
- Define and graph transformations in math, and make calculations involving distance, rate and time
- Provide the definitions and descriptions of translation, dilation, rotations and reflections in math
- Share the meaning of rotational symmetry and glide reflection in geometry
Expert instructors in this chapter have compiled materials and created fun video and text lessons that can keep you engaged as you refresh your knowledge of coordinate geometry. Full transcripts of the videos are also available that you can print to take additional notes or highlight key points. Each lesson features a short self-assessment quiz designed to gauge your comprehension of the subject matter. If you want a broader review of the lessons, take the more extensive chapter exam.
1. The Cartesian Coordinate System: Plotting Points & Graphing Lines
Watch this video lesson to see how useful the Cartesian coordinate system is. Learn how points are labeled and how you can plot points and graph lines using the system.
2. Coordinate System in Geometry: Definition & Types
Coordinate systems use 1-dimensional, 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional spaces and coordinates to define points. The ''xy'' coordinate grid is the most common of these systems, which you can learn how to use in this lesson.
3. Solving Word Problems with Plotted Data on a Coordinate Plane
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems that involve plotted points on a coordinate plane. Learn how to choose the right points that will answer your question.
4. Properties and Postulates of Geometric Figures
In geometry, there are some basic postulates that are relied upon as the basis for other theorems. Watch this video to learn about the postulates that deal with points, lines, and planes.
5. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
6. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
7. Distance Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Let's go on a road trip! In this lesson, we'll practice calculations involving distance, rate and time. We'll also look at how we determine the relationship between distance and fuel.
8. Finding Distance with the Pythagorean Theorem
How much faster is it to cut the corners in a race around the block? In this lesson, review the Pythagorean Theorem, and figure out how to solve without a right triangle.
9. Transformations in Math: Definition & Graph
In geometry, transformation refers to the movement of objects in the coordinate plane. This lesson will define and give examples of each of the four common transformations and end with a quiz to make sure you are moving in the right direction.
10. What is Translation in Math? - Definition, Examples, & Terms
In mathematics, translation refers to moving an object without changing it in any other way. This lesson will describe how to translate an object and give some examples. A quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
11. Dilation in Math: Definition & Meaning
Dilations are transformations that change figures in specific ways. Learn about these changes and how to complete dilations here. Then test your understanding with a quiz.
12. Rotations in Math: Definition & Overview
A geometric rotation refers to the rotating of a figure around a center of rotation. This lesson will get you going on rotations, give you some examples, and end with a quiz that tests your knowledge of rotations.
13. What is Rotational Symmetry? - Definition & Examples
If you have ever tried to hang a picture and not been able to tell which end was up, then your picture might have had rotational symmetry. Rotational symmetry is the characteristic that makes an object look the same even after you've rotated it.
14. Reflections in Math: Definition & Overview
A reflection of an object is a 'flip' of that object across a line. This lesson will describe the basics of reflection, how to recognize one and how to create one.
15. Glide Reflection in Geometry: Definition & Example
In this lesson, we will look at transformations of geometric figures and concentrate on one type of transformation in particular: a glide reflection. Through a definition and examples, we will become comfortable with this type of transformation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MoGEA Mathematics Subtest (068): Practice & Study Guide course
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: The Real Number System
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Fractions
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Decimals
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Percents
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Rational Expressions
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Radical Expressions
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Writing Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Solving Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Properties of Real Numbers
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Inequalities
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Sequences & Series
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Linear Equations
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Systems of Equations
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Measurement of Angles
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Measurements of 2D Figures
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Measurements of 3D Shapes
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Right Triangles
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Fundamentals of Geometry Proofs
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Counting Strategies
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Probability
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Data Analysis & Statistics
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest Flashcards