About This Chapter
MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Sequences & Series - Chapter Summary
The MoGEA Mathematics subtest may include questions about sequences and series. This chapter gives you the chance to prepare for these questions by reviewing:
- Mathematical sequences
- Summation notation and series
- Finding and calculating arithmetic and geometric sequences and series
Our video lessons are short to help you devote all of your attention to reviewing specific mathematics concepts. You can also read transcripts of every lesson to take another approach to studying these series and sequences.
1. What is a Mathematical Sequence?
Math is often the most fun when it acts like a puzzle to be solved. The branch of math where this is the most true involves sequences. Get an introduction to the basics and important vocabulary, as well as learn where sequences appear in nature!
2. Summation Notation and Mathematical Series
The capital Greek letter sigma might be most recognizable as a common symbol in a fraternity or sorority, but it's used for some pretty cool math tricks too. In this lesson, learn how to use sigma for things like determining how many seats are in Michigan Stadium.
3. How to Find and Classify an Arithmetic Sequence
Arithmetic sequences are everywhere, and with a few tricks you learn here, you could end up looking like a psychic the next time you go to a movie or a football game!
4. How to Calculate an Arithmetic Series
In this lesson, you'll learn how to sum up any arithmetic sequence without having to add up each and every term. You'll never guess the circumstances that led to the discovery of this marvelous formula.
5. Finding and Classifying Geometric Sequences
Want your YouTube video to get a lot of hits? Besides including a cute baby or an adorable cat, getting your video to have a big common ratio is the key. Learn what I'm talking about here!
6. How to Calculate a Geometric Series
If you're not satisfied with knowing how many views your YouTube video will get any one day and need to know how many total views you're getting, geometric series are for you! Learn more in this lesson.
7. Arithmetic and Geometric Series: Practice Problems
There are many different types of problems concerning series and sequences - including some that are pretty abstract. From bouncing balls to adding up odd numbers, test your skills here with additional arithmetic and geometric series practice!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MoGEA Mathematics Subtest (068): Practice & Study Guide course
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: The Real Number System
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Fractions
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Decimals
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Percents
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Rational Expressions
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Radical Expressions
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Writing Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Solving Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Properties of Real Numbers
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Inequalities
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Linear Equations
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Systems of Equations
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Measurement of Angles
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Measurements of 2D Figures
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Measurements of 3D Shapes
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Right Triangles
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Fundamentals of Geometry Proofs
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Coordinate Geometry
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Counting Strategies
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Probability
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Data Analysis & Statistics
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest Flashcards