About This Chapter
MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: The Real Number System - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter cover all the information you need to understand about the real number system prior to taking the MoGEA Mathematics subtest. Lesson topics include:
- Types of numbers
- Number line
- Order of real numbers
- Absolute values
- Greatest common factors
- Least common multiples
- Prime factorization
- Simplifying expressions
- Difference between prime and composite numbers
- Order of operations
- Writing a numerical expression
The concise and informative video lessons can be viewed as many times as you need, and all of the resources in this chapter can be accessed numerous times from either a computer or mobile device. If you find yourself struggling, submit a question to our instructors for clarification.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. What Is a Number Line?
A number line is a visual representation of all real numbers. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify points on a number line. We'll also practice addition and subtraction, letting the number line do all the hard work.
3. The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities
An inequality is an operation describing how one number can be compared to another. This lesson will describe and define inequalities and the symbols used to represent them. It will also give some examples on how to work with inequalities.
4. Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number
You can find the absolute value of any real number. This lesson will define absolute value, explain what real numbers are and give the steps to finding the absolute value of any real number.
5. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
6. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
7. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
8. How to Simplify Expressions with Integers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify any integer expression by following the order of operations. Learn what to watch for and in what order to do your operations.
9. Identifying Prime & Composite Numbers
In this video lesson, you will learn how to identify both prime and composite numbers. You will also learn what makes the numbers unique, as well as the characteristics of both these types of numbers.
10. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
11. How to Write a Numerical Expression? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will be given the definition of a numerical expression and learn how to write one. You will be provided with plenty of examples to clearly illustrate this important mathematical concept.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MoGEA Mathematics Subtest (068): Practice & Study Guide course
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Fractions
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Decimals
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Percents
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Rational Expressions
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Radical Expressions
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Writing Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Solving Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Properties of Real Numbers
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Inequalities
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Sequences & Series
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Linear Equations
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Systems of Equations
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Measurement of Angles
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Measurements of 2D Figures
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Measurements of 3D Shapes
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Right Triangles
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Fundamentals of Geometry Proofs
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Coordinate Geometry
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Counting Strategies
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Probability
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Data Analysis & Statistics
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- MoGEA Mathematics Subtest Flashcards