About This Chapter
Molecular Types & Structures - Chapter Summary
In these lessons, you'll find information about molecular types and structures. You can explore the properties of small molecules, the applications of polymers, how nanoparticles are classified, and more. By the time you've completed each of these lessons, you should be able to:
- Describe what polymers are and their properties
- Provide examples of malleability in chemistry
- Identify the three common allotropes of carbon
- Discuss fullerenes and their bonding and structure characteristics
- Distinguish the differences between nanoparticles and bulk particles
- Understand the risks of using nanoparticles and their common uses
This chapter is a complete online study guide that allows you to work at any location using any device that has Internet access. If you have any questions about the information you've reviewed, you may reach out to our experts for assistance. You can track your progress through the chapter using the personal Dashboard feature.
1. Properties of Small Molecules
This lesson will help you understand the chemical properties of small molecules. We'll go over the typical state of matter of small molecules, as well as the intermolecular forces present and the reason for a lack of electric charge.
2. What Are Polymers? - Properties, Applications & Examples
Polymers are huge molecules that are encountered in nature as well as in our modern technology. This lesson introduces students to polymers, their properties, and some of the many ways polymers are found in the modern world.
3. Malleability in Chemistry: Definition & Examples
This lesson defines malleability and the origin of this physical property. The lesson provides examples of how malleability of metals can be observed in everyday life.
4. The 3 Allotropes of Carbon
Carbon is an incredible element with the ability to form a variety of allotropes. In this lesson, we will explore what it means for something to be an allotrope, and we will examine three common allotropes of carbon.
5. Fullerenes: Definition, Structure & Examples
The purpose of this lesson is gain fluency in a class of structures known as fullerenes. We will start by taking a look at their definition and structure, then learn about some specific examples of fullerenes.
6. Nanoparticles: Definition, Properties & Classification
This lesson is an introduction to nanoparticles. The properties of nanoparticles such as photoluminescence, color, melting point, and reactivity are discussed, as well as nanoparticle classification.
7. Everyday Uses of Nanoparticles
In this lesson we will discuss everyday uses of nanoparticles. They are useful for a variety of products and industries because of their unique properties, and we find them in use all around us.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GCSE Chemistry: Practice & Study Guide course
- Steps of the Scientific Method
- Analyzing & Evaluating Scientific Data
- The Process of Scientific Thinking
- Mathematics in Science
- Scientific Vocabulary & Measurement
- Atoms & Atomic Structure
- Properties of Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Understanding Elements & Periodicity
- Block & Group Elements
- Chemical Bonds Overview
- States of Matter Overview
- Quantitative Chemistry
- Chemical Changes
- Energy Changes in Chemical Reactions
- Rate & Extent of Chemical Changes
- Basics of Organic Chemistry
- Chemical Analysis
- Chemistry of the Atmosphere
- Using Natural Resources
- GCSE Chemistry Flashcards