About This Chapter
Mood Disorders and Personal Health - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
This chapter is designed to provide you with an overview of the different types of moods or psychological disorders that are characterized by depressed or unusually elevated states of mind. At the beginning of the chapter, your instructor will provide you with both a historical and contemporary perspective on mood disorders, before moving on to some of the more serious disturbances that can disrupt everyday life. In particular, you'll become familiar with the symptoms of depression and other related conditions, while learning about their causes and risk factors. Your instructor will also discuss what types of treatment can bring patients relief.
After you've watched the videos and taken the online self-assessments, you should have an understanding of:
- Mood disorders and psychological models
- Depressive disorders
- Bipolar disorders
- Suicidal tendencies and thoughts
|Defining and Understanding Mood Disorders||Provide a definition of a mood disorder. Summarize the historical and current views on mood disorders, including biological, psychological and sociocultural models.|
|Depressive Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes and Treatment||Define and discuss depressive disorders, including types, causes and treatments.|
|What is Bipolar Disorder? - Symptoms, Treatment and Quiz||Define and discuss bipolar disorders, including types, causes, and treatments.|
|What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes and Prevention||Summarize the triggers, underlying causes and treatments for suicidal thoughts.|
1. Defining and Understanding Mood Disorders
When someone has abnormal feelings that affect his or her life, he or she might be suffering from a mood disorder. In this lesson, we'll look closer at the types of mood disorders and the different theoretical views of them.
2. Depressive Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes & Treatment
What is depression? In this lesson, we'll look closer at depressive disorders, including the diagnostic criteria, causes, and treatments of major depressive disorder.
3. What Is Bipolar Disorder? - Symptoms & Treatment
Studying the mood disorder called bipolar disorder can help you understand how persons with this disorder cycle through extreme moods of depression and mania. Explore bipolar disorder in this lesson, and test your understanding with a quiz.
4. What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes & Prevention
Why would a person take their own life? And what can be done to prevent it? In this lesson, we'll look at the reasons for, triggers of, and prevention of suicide.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health
- Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- The Aging Population and Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cardiovascular, Respiratory, & Endocrine Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards