About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your mood disorders homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your mood disorders homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Definition of mood disorders
- Causes and types of depressive disorders
- Diagnosis and treatment of cyclothymia
- Diagnosis and treatment of dysthymia
- Causes and types of bipolar disorders
- Causes and prevention of suicide
1. Defining and Understanding Mood Disorders
When someone has abnormal feelings that affect his or her life, he or she might be suffering from a mood disorder. In this lesson, we'll look closer at the types of mood disorders and the different theoretical views of them.
2. Depressive Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes & Treatment
What is depression? In this lesson, we'll look closer at depressive disorders, including the diagnostic criteria, causes, and treatments of major depressive disorder.
3. Dysthymia and Cyclothymia: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
What happens if someone feels depressed but doesn't meet the criteria for major depressive disorder? Or if someone seems to have a light case of bipolar disorder? In this lesson, we'll look closer at the mood disorders dysthymia and cyclothymia.
4. What Is Bipolar Disorder? - Symptoms & Treatment
Studying the mood disorder called bipolar disorder can help you understand how persons with this disorder cycle through extreme moods of depression and mania. Explore bipolar disorder in this lesson, and test your understanding with a quiz.
5. What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes & Prevention
Why would a person take their own life? And what can be done to prevent it? In this lesson, we'll look at the reasons for, triggers of, and prevention of suicide.
6. Altruistic & Fatalistic Suicide: Definition & Contrast
In this lesson, we'll discuss altruistic and fatalistic suicide and learn more about about them by examining some examples. Then, you'll test your knowledge with a short quiz.
7. Egoistic & Anomic Suicide: Definition & Difference
In this lesson, you will learn about two types of suicide: egoistic and anomic suicide. The definitions and differences will be covered and some examples will be discussed.
8. What Are Manic Episodes?- Symptoms, Triggers & Definition
The symptoms of manic episodes are less common than the familiar symptoms of depression, though both are mood disorders. Read on to discover how manic episodes are often debilitating and dysfunctional.
9. What Is Cyclothymic Disorder? - Symptoms, Diagnosis & Definition
Cyclothymic disorder is a type of chronic mental disorder with wildly fluctuating symptoms. Learn about diagnosis and treatment as we explore this disorder, then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
10. Chronic Depression: Definition & Signs
This lesson discusses what chronic depression is and how it can be recognized by its signs and symptoms. The DSM definition is given, the criteria given in the DSM are discussed, and treatment options are described.
11. What are Somatic Symptoms of Depression?
Is a mental disorder, like depression, tied to physical problems like pain? You're about to find out in this lesson on the definition and examples of somatic symptoms of depression.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help Resource course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Homework Help
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- Homework Help for the Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Homework Help
- Clinical Assessment: Homework Help
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders: Homework Help
- Stress Disorders: Homework Help
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Homework Help
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders: Homework Help
- Psychotic Disorders: Homework Help
- Substance Use Disorders: Homework Help
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Life-Span Development Disorders: Homework Help
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Factitious Disorders: Homework Help
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help